The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

nik_n

Fish Crazy
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was considering adding a pair or a trio of german ram cichlids to my planted community 180l (50gallon tank), stocked with 2 angelfish, 2 blue gouramis, 5 columbian tetras and three bristle nose pleocs. I had some concerns as this would be the first time I keep rams.

I keep the tank at 27°C. I know rams require higher temperatures but would they be alright at 27/28°C?

In terms of breeding:

In case I would decide to breed (if I could get a pair form the trio) I would condition them in the main tank and then transfer them to a breeding container/ fry grow out where I would raise the temperature t0 29/30°C.

Anything I should know about or expect?

I keep the tank at 27°C. I know rams require higher temperatures but would they be alright at 27/28°C?

Not really. Temperature is actually the reason so many aquarists do not have success long-term with this species (any of the varieties, they are derived from the one wild species Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, so requires are the same for all). The tank should be in the range of 28-30C/82-86F, mid-range being preferable.

As for other issues...first, it is often (read "normally") not successful for the aquarist to select the fish as a pair or trio; it is not that easy to tell male/female, though their interaction in the tank if there is a group of them can be a good guide. And this is the best way to select them...let a pair bond. They will be more likely of success, though there is no guarantee. If they do spawn, the third ram may get seriously picked on to death by the male or female when guarding eggs or fry.

I'm not going to get into the other species issues here, just be aware there are some.

Your biggest problem is that Angels like cooler water, and in general mixing Cichlids like Angels and Rams doesn't work out well.

If you want a breeding pair of ram cichlids, buy 8-10 fish and put them together in the tank. Let them pr off naturally and either keep the pr/s and remove the others, or move the prs into their own tanks.

If the tank is 6 foot long, you could have 2 prs in it. Just have caves and flat rocks at either end of the tank so each pr came live on opposite sides of the tank.

-----------------
In my opinion (differing to Byrons), I reckon the rams would be ok at 27C. And you don't need to raise the temp to 30C to grow the fry.

-----------------
I do have some concerns about the blue gouramis and Columbian tetras.

Blue gouramis (Trichogaster trichopterus) can get aggressive when mature and breeding. In a big tank it shouldn't be an issue but in a small tank, the angelfish could get hurt.

Columbian tetras are renown fin nippers and should not be kept with slow moving fish or fish with long fins. Then might go after the angelfish. Monitor them and if there are problems, remove them or the angels.

Most reactions

Back