Keeping And Breeding Bn Plecos

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

botia

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi guys

i am trying to breed BN plecos. Does it matter that i have serpae tetras in the tank as well, will it stop them breeding

please answer soon.

As long as you have a mature male and female with suitable hollows for the male to guard the eggs in they should breed. The tetras would only be a potential problem once the fry venture out of the nest area when they are a few days old. I would also give the bristle noses plenty of variety in foods including a scource of protien like sinking shrimp pellets, as they are not wholey and solely vegeterian. Once they start breeding they usually keep having new batches of fry every month or so. The babies can stay with the parents but I usually remove the babies to another tank once they are around 2cm as I find this seems to help them grow up quicker.

i have think some panda or juli corys would be cool, but because they are a bottom dweller would they disturb the breeding nest more than serpaes

I have cory's in with my breeding bristle noses and there is never any problem with the cory's disturbing the males chosen nest log or hollow. In another tank with breeding bristle noses I also have kuhli loaches and even these don't seem to bother the eggs or fry even though the kuhli loaches can often be found sharing the same hollow ornament that the male is guarding his eggs/ fry in. I wouldn't trust Pakistani (yoyo) loaches with any fry, along with quite a few other types of more predatory loaches, cat fish or other fish in general, fry are almost always fair game in most fishes eyes. But cory's are one of the safest fish to keep with even young fish.

I've got the fish in my sig below and a tank full of BN fry and no one messes with them.

Most reactions

Back