Keeping 3 Single Varieties Of Platies

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

pumpkinnose

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My spouse and I were talking today about getting the kids each their own 10 gallon tank once they get older probably like in their teens. But I was wondering if you can put 3 different kinds of female platies in an aquarium without a lot of aggression. Also since they are schooling fish do they really need their own kind?

Platies don't school at such, but like most fish, like to be with their own kind.
Females can be kept together, usually with no trouble.
I used to have several females together & they got along fine
Keep in mind though that most females will have been with males at some point so may well be pregnant when you get them, so expect to get some fry

I bought some the other day and have already spotted one heavily pregnant Platy and another pregnant one so it's definitely something to consider!

I can understand the possibility of running into pregnant platies right after we get them but after 6 months that should stop as long as we get any offspring out soon enough. I just want the kids to have several different colors in a small tank and most fish that are small school and need several of their own kind. That's why I was wondering if we could get a single since a 10 gallon would only be able to hold about 4 platies. Im not against getting ones that have a couple of colors on them. But maybe a couple of glo fish would be better

I can understand the possibility of running into pregnant platies right after we get them but after 6 months that should stop as long as we get any offspring out soon enough. I just want the kids to have several different colors in a small tank and most fish that are small school and need several of their own kind. That's why I was wondering if we could get a single since a 10 gallon would only be able to hold about 4 platies. Im not against getting ones that have a couple of colors on them. But maybe a couple of glo fish would be better
Glo Fish are zebra danios, so unless you have like... a 3 foot or 4 foot long tank, they may not like it and they prefer to be in a large school as well.

Don't worry too much about aggression between females. In general, platies do not school/shoal. A 10 gallon is enough for just a few adult platies, not many really. You are correct that after 6 months or so you need not worry about prior male contacts.
I am at a loss. What is it that you want to teach your children? If you want them to observe fish mating and reproducing, you have set things up to avoid that outcome. If you want them to see females deprived of male company, it will be a long time before they can see that. If you want them to see anything related to genetics and inheritance, you have missed that chance by refusing to acknowledge the male's role in things. I am not stupid by most accounts, but I cannot see where you are going so far.

Im going with the responsibility of a tank and the fact that the family tank will probably have platies of both sexes in it. The kids want fish and I see no problem with them starting off with a 3 gallon tank with a betta in it. But if I know my daughter she will want more and a 10 gallon on a dresser is more then enough for a teenager which leaves me with the boy probably wanting one to unless he can talk his dad into something else for a aquarium like a lizard snake or a spider. Which I'm fine with all as long they stay in the tank unless they are in his hand they better not be roaming free. To me we don't need more then 6 females breeding (which is what we will probably have after we move and if everyone makes it. Plus we can talk about adding a male into the kids aquarium from the families tank if need be) and trying to figure out what to do with all the fry. Im probably kind of lucky right now to find a friend that owns a pet shop that will take any right now as long as I let her know in advance that I have platies for her that is if they make it.

If all that you want is to teach them pet care, and its responsibilities, you can use almost any combination of fish. Sooner or later they will see things change, even in a very well cared for tank, and they will need to respond. That is where you come in to help them understand what is needed given the actual circumstances. If they see a drop, you can help them establish cover for the fry. If you see any distress, you can help them understand the need for regular water changes. Almost any challenge can be a learning experience.

Most reactions

Back