Keep your water quality pure

Dragonslair

Dragon.
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Something that may be of use for those of you who want perfect water. I have been using Bio Chem-Zorb,Nitra-Zorb and Phos-Zorb for the last year now with great results. I just place the pouches inside my cannister power filter and forget it for around 10 weeks. (sometimes a bit longer)All my water readings are zero, with the exception of my Ph. All my fish are happy and healthy, what more could you want? :nod:

I've bought a Nitra-zorb bcoz my tank has just finished cycling, with 0 readings for NH4, NO2 n 10-20 for NO3. N that's why I bought the Nitra-zorb.

However, my hubby said it's absorb NH4 n NO2 as well, so the bacteria won't have enough to eat. Is that so? -_-

Btw, what's Bio Chem-Zorb n Phos-Zorb? What will they do?

To answer your question re: nitra-zorb taking in all the bacterial food. The answer I'm gonna give you is going to be debateable. I personally would say no. This is because there will be detritus in the bottom of the tank,in the substrate that nitra-zorb won't take in. Bio-chem zorb/Phos-zorb are scavanger resins and industrial grade super activated carbon combined to absorb any gases,ammonia,heavy metals, chelated copper and Phosphates from your tank. Excess phosphates usually result in algal blooms. Decomposing food and the odd hidden decomposing fish can cause phosphates levels to rise. Bio chem zorb is basically just that. It absorbs harmful biological, and chemical elements in the water.

Thanks for the explanations and information! :) When the nitrate level go any higher, I'll add in the nitra-zorb. But for my two nearest pet shops, they dont do the two other zorbs. But we'll see...

IMHO it is best not to use any of these chemicals. The only way I would use anything to alter the water is if I had very high nitrates in my tap water. That being over 40 ppm. With regular water changes and not adding a lot of other chemicals, the water should be in really good shape! Its just my opinion that adding unnecessary chemicals can be detrimental to your water chemistry. What happens if you get too much in there and have no nitrates to compensate for your nitrites? Another cycle? Even if its a mini cycle, it can cause problems with ich and the like. With that said the only addition to my tanks is Stress Coat to remove chlorine and chloramine and the occasional fertilizer in the planted tanks. My fish sure don't seem to mind. They are for the most part always healthy and happy!

Allie

Hi

The addition of then Nitrogen absorbing material in a filter, can be good or bad, depending if it is placed before or after the biological media.

If it is placed as the final stage of the filter, all it can absorb is the nitrate, as the biological media deals with the ammonia and the nitrite, and the nitrifying bacteria grow an normal.

The problem occurs if it is placed at the start of the filtration process, where it will absorb the ammonia, and thus not leave any for the growth of nitrifying bacteria.

HTH

i also prefer to not add any chemicals to alter the water. my reading also remain at 0, except pH, which stays at a constant 6.8. but perhaps i am just lucky

There are many approaches to this hobby; that's why I think it appeals to me so much. I think that adding these types of things is OK as long as you are consistent. The problem is, many people tend to rely on them and consider them a safety blanket. In doing so, they will often neglect regular water changes because of this false sense of security. These absorbing materials have a certain lifespan and need to be changed regularly to remain effective. There are a couple of problems with this: 1) It can be expensive 2) It's impossible to tell when the product has lost its efficiency.

Regular water changes, a well-established biological filter and monitoring of your conditions should be all you need. If using these extra materials makes you feel more comfortable, then there is absolutely nothing wrong with it as long as you don't allow yourself to neglect regular maintenance. If you dread the weekly water change, I suggest you invest in or make a Python-type syphon and refill kit; it makes things soooo much easier. Ultimately, I guess it's up to each person to decide for themselves but the moto I've adapted from another fishkeeper is...The More Complicated You Make It, The More That Can Go Wrong.

playfulalliecat said:
What happens if you get too much in there and have no nitrates to compensate for your nitrites? Another cycle?
Its all a conspiracy! Government cover-ups! Commercial brainwashing! Good god someone help us!!!

Most reactions

Back