Yes, it contains bacteria...whether they are viable or not is another matter...some claim it does speed the process, but I wouldn't know
Ok. Thank you. Sorry if I came across made in my last post... I've just been getting so many opinions and its overwhelming.

Ok. Thank you. Sorry if I came across made in my last post... I've just been getting so many opinions and its overwhelming.
No need to apologize...as I alluded to earlier, what works well for some in this hobby may not for others, but the BASICS of cycling always remain the same.

You can't learn if you don't question.... ;)

@Slaphppy7 and others don't like or believe in bottled bacteria.
Myself and others do like it.
Personally, I didn't think the cost was exhorbitant, so I don't feel you've anything to lose by trying it...except some money! :D

Growing bacteria does take time, especially if you're stating from scratch, without the benefit of 'mature' water or old substrate/filter sponges.
Back in the Olden Days, ( ;) ), aquarists would have a waterbutt outside, full of water from the rain and the tap and would leave it to stand for a week or so. This 'mature' water would then be used to set up the tank, having acquired its own bacteria, quite naturally, from the atmosphere and general surroundings.

One important note about you using your tap water...remember that tap water is treated with stuff to make it safe for us to drink, such as chlorine. You'll need to add a water conditioner, every time you add tap water, or else the chlorine in it will kill off your resident bacteria.

Personally, I didn't think the cost was exhorbitant, so I don't feel you've anything to lose by trying it...except some money! :D

Growing bacteria does take time, especially if you're stating from scratch, without the benefit of 'mature' water or old substrate/filter sponges.
Back in the Olden Days, ( ;) ), aquarists would have a waterbutt outside, full of water from the rain and the tap and would leave it to stand for a week or so. This 'mature' water would then be used to set up the tank, having acquired its own bacteria, quite naturally, from the atmosphere and general surroundings.

One important note about you using your tap water...remember that tap water is treated with stuff to make it safe for us to drink, such as chlorine. You'll need to add a water conditioner, every time you add tap water, or else the chlorine in it will kill off your resident bacteria.
Yes I do know about chloramines

Is it ok to overdose in bb? Lol stupid question probably

Is it ok to overdose in bb? Lol stupid question probably
Not as far as I'm aware, although you can experience a 'bacterial bloom', but this is harmless and will normally dissipate of its own accord.
No such thing as a stupid question...although...
Inquisitive idiots.jpg

I'm happy to be an inquisitive idiot! :D

Not as far as I'm aware, although you can experience a 'bacterial bloom', but this is harmless and will normally dissipate of its own accord.
No such thing as a stupid question...although...
View attachment 141241

I'm happy to be an inquisitive idiot! :D
Thanks... I think I will add 3ppm of ammonium and then a whole bottle of microbe lift special blend... Ok maybe half lol

Thanks... I think I will add 3ppm of ammonium and then a whole bottle of microbe lift special blend... Ok maybe half lol
You shouldn't need to add ammonium with the Special Blend...the bacterium comes with its own food.
Remember, the ammonia is added to a tank with a low bacterial count, to feed it and encourage it to grow.
You're already adding adequate bacteria and, if you follow the instructions, you'll soon have an adequate bacteria population.
Note that the bacteria in the Special Blend doesn't break down nitrites so well, so I also used the Nite-Out II, which does.

That article is okay and fair advice, although I disagree with the implied need to add ammonia.
Plus, there are other methods to effectively cycle a tank and the repeated use of that quality link tends to suggest that there isn't.

You shouldn't need to add ammonium with the Special Blend...the bacterium comes with its own food.
Remember, the ammonia is added to a tank with a low bacterial count, to feed it and encourage it to grow.
You're already adding adequate bacteria and, if you follow the instructions, you'll soon have an adequate bacteria population.
Note that the bacteria in the Special Blend doesn't break down nitrites so well, so I also used the Nite-Out II, which does.
Expensive... Both? Hm

That article is okay and fair advice, although I disagree with the implied need to add ammonia.
Plus, there are other methods to effectively cycle a tank and the repeated use of that quality link tends to suggest that there isn't.
I think the OP has explored their alternative options adequately, they have information to choose which path to take. Some people prefer the linked method as it creates sufficient bacteria to fully stock the tank in one go.

I think the OP has explored their alternative options adequately, they have information to choose which path to take. Some people prefer the linked method as it creates sufficient bacteria to fully stock the tank in one go.
I hope you know I'm not the OP... I just asked a question to someones post and now I feel bad for flooding this thread lol.

I hope you know I'm not the OP... I just asked a question to someones post and now I feel bad for flooding this thread lol.
Just realised this lol! Anyway, the info is there for all :)

Most reactions

Back