Type of Test Kit: API master freshwater Kit
Tank Temperature: 25 degrees c
Tap Water pH: 7.6 - 7.8
Type and Strength of Ammonia:Household Boots ammonia 9.5% solution
Decor including Plants: Rock pile, 2 large rocks and 1 piece of plastic grass

Tap water

A - 0-0.25ppm
Ni - 0ppm
Na - 40-80ppm (quite hard to tell the difference in colour)

Tank -

Added 3ml of ammonia on saturday 22/01/2011

Day 1 @ 19:00 PH-7.6, High PH-7.8 a= 4ppm, Ni=0ppm, Na=80-160ppm

No ammonia added

So i guess i keep testing until my ammonia drops to 0 and then redose?

im pretty sure my nitrate was darker from the tank than in the tap water (the two blue colours 80 to 160ppm is very hard to tell the difference), but reading the fishless cycle thread i would only get more nitrate when my nitrite rises, but that is apparently 0ppm.

Should i water change to lower the nitrate? i know my base was quite high anyway but would i need to change.

Im going to plant the tank so hopefully that should keep the nitrate down if my base level really is that high

re tested ammonia again just to double check my results, the problem is that i struggled to differentiate between 8ppm and 4ppm, the test both times seemed darker than 4ppm but not as dark as 8ppm, is there any fool proff way to determine the correct reading or do i just go worst case scenario in future?

If you are not able to tell between two of the colors, you are close enough, in my opinion, to the correct ammonia level. Regarding your nitrates, don't sweat their level yet. The nitrates are only going to be a problem when you want to add fish, and you'll handle that with water changes, etc.

Oh - and if it helps - I also have trouble telling the diff between 40 and 80 ppm on the nitrates! If you think the ammonia is too high you can always do a small water change to dilute it, too.

Just checking - there should be no blue colours on the nitrate chart.
There is a photo on page 6 of my cycling log. Most of the chart is shown except for the last part of the ammonia range.

You dont want to add more ammonia than 4 or 5ppm ideally i understand.

I would stick to 4ppm as it is a quantity you can compare against on the chart.

You may have added slightly too much ammonia but as long as it is not as much as 8ppm you should be ok. Wait for it to drop to zero.

The actual volume of water your tank holds will be less than the size quoted for the tank.
You can calculate the exact volume measuring the tank on the inside up to the fill level and then use the calculator at the top of the forum to get the result.
The decor, rocks, gravel etc will mean that less water will be in the tank but this is hard to calculate so you can just subtract 5-10% from that figure if you want to.

As you have done, use this volume to calculate your ammonia dosing level using the calculator. Remember to put 4 in the desired level column if you select that level.
Once you have dosed the tank. Wait 20-30 minutes and test for ammonia to confirm the dosing level (obviously only needs to be confirmed once for that quantity).

The best way to check the results is in natural daylight. At night, energy saving bulbs distort the colour slightly so try to use normall light bulbs.

Right todays results

Tank -

Day 1 @ 19:00 PH-7.6, High PH-7.8 a= 4ppm, Ni=0ppm, Na=80-160ppm,No ammonia added
Day 2 @19:10 PH-7.6, High PH - 8.0, A= 4ppm, Ni= 0ppm, Na = 20-40ppm, no ammonia added

The ammonia has definitely dropped since yesterday but still a very green colour, definitely 4ppm this time though
The nitrite seems to be a slightly darker light blue colour but no hint of purple yet
Judigng by my test results for Nitrites today i think yesterdays results may have been quite false

Also i accidentally threw a test tube accross my bedroom.... would have have to go to API to get a new one or to the place where i bought the kit from?

Right todays results

Tank -

Day 1 @ 19:00 PH-7.6, High PH-7.8 a= 4ppm, Ni=0ppm, Na=80-160ppm,No ammonia added
Day 2 @19:10 PH-7.6, High PH - 8.0, A= 4ppm, Ni= 0ppm, Na = 20-40ppm, no ammonia added

The ammonia has definitely dropped since yesterday but still a very green colour, definitely 4ppm this time though
The nitrite seems to be a slightly darker light blue colour but no hint of purple yet
Judigng by my test results for Nitrites today i think yesterdays results may have been quite false

Also i accidentally threw a test tube accross my bedroom.... would have have to go to API to get a new one or to the place where i bought the kit from?

Any test tube will do, you can get them for pennies from Ebay

Ebay test Tubes

Right todays results

Tank -

When using the Api nitrAte test kit, give bottle 2 of the kit a few taps on a hard surface followed by a severe shake.

Keith.

duly noted :)

Cheers guys.

Any idea why it appears that mature media doesnt seem to have accomplished anything?

duly noted :)

Cheers guys.

Any idea why it appears that mature media doesnt seem to have accomplished anything?
It could be a bit early yet to say weather you have or have not benefited from the introduction of the mature media.

Keith.

I broke two first time round and a top bloke at API sent me a couple.
Fill in the details in below link:

http://www.aquariumpharm.co.uk/help-desk/askus.aspx

I've since broken another one so i think im gonna have to go down the ebay route!

I broke two first time round and a top bloke at API sent me a couple.
Fill in the details in below link:

http://www.aquariumpharm.co.uk/help-desk/askus.aspx

I've since broken another one so i think im gonna have to go down the ebay route!

Thanks very much :) just sent them a message!

Most reactions

Back