Juwel Vision 180 :: Air Stones Or Not?

csjasona

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm about to take delivery of a new Juwel Vision 180. I've noticed that juwel documentation says that additional aeration is not required with the Juwel tanks. How accurate is this? I will be using the Juwel 'air diffuser for pump' accessory, that attaches to the water outlet pipe from the pump, just to ensure that oxygen is pulled in from above the water line. But do I need additional aeration via air pumps?

I will be using sand substrate with under-substrate heating in addition to the usual Juwel heating.

JJ

With all my Juwel tanks I just angle the outlet pipe upwards /diagonally across the tank to ripple the surface so you dont need an air stone unless you want it for show.

Good question.. often wondered that myself.. I have a rio 180, and i have added the venturi attachment whilst i am fishless cycling the tank.. At higher temperatures it helps to add oxygen into the water whilst cycling and causes surface agitation.. not sure how much it helps the cycle, but i did see someone recommend you add an airstone whilse cycling.

Squid

So is it best to just add this device whilst doing the cyling? I've read in various places that too much water agigation and oxygen (from air pumps) will retard plants growth.

remember you don't have to have an airpump running all the time, you could put it on a timer to go on and off at certain times

Now that's a good idea; I could put in on for a few hours a day - like when I come home from work and want some 'movement' to look at...

remember you don't have to have an airpump running all the time, you could put it on a timer to go on and off at certain times
Now, before i start... PLEASE dont take this the wrong way! Im NOT saying i know better than you :thumbs: But... I read on here somewhere (cant remember where :unsure: ) that having an air pump on for a few hours a day or whatever wasnt such a great idea... Possibly it was a pinned post (though dont quote me on that). Anyway, from what i could gather it was an ON or OFF thing. Not both :thumbs: Personally, i dont have anylive plants in my tank (juwel vision 260) though i have the Juwel air diffuser thing for the filter outlet & i also run a twin air pump with airstones. Never had anyproblems - so far. Been like this for well over a year! Hope that helps?

There is no need for an extra airstone unless you want one for show. Also if you're going to have a planted tank, then an extra airstone could actually be a hinderance rather than a help.

There is no need for an extra airstone unless you want one for show. Also if you're going to have a planted tank, then an extra airstone could actually be a hinderance rather than a help.

that's the kind of thing I have heard, too, and Juwel themselves say that no extra airpumps etc are needed for their tanks. i will be using the Juwel air diffuser and probably that is all.

i run my airstone from 9 am till 12 pm when i go to bed, the buzzing is annoying when trying to get to sleep, obviously this may not apply to you if the the tank is not in a bedroom.
if you want it for decoration go for it.

Most reactions

Back