Juwel Rio Stock Filter

Tw3lv3

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So ive had my juwel rio running for a few months now and i want to upgrade to an external filter for cleaner water and more swim room for the fish, Ive got the filter picked out and im ready to buy but before i buy it i want to make sure i know how to remove the filter that comes with the tank.

The filter is stuck on with black silicone or something and i can easily cut it away from the tank with a bread knife or something like that my question is what would be the best way to remove the excess silicone that will be left on the glass, ive searched google and people are saying to use stanley knife blades to remove it but all the blades ive ever brought come oiled up to protect the blade from rust in storage which would be bad for the fish and anything i can think of to clean oil off would also be harmful to the fish... so has anyone got any ideas or if you have removed said filter before any tips??

Thanks for any info you can offer,

Tw3lv3.

Sharp blade is best to remove the unit. I removed the excess silicone with a wall paper scraper. It would be best to run both filters till the external has matured unless you are using the sponges from the internal in the external.

if you buy cheapo blades then you may get away with it as somtimes no oil but paint scrapers from focus dont have oil from what ive found iff not use some cheap razers and sort of shave itoff seems to work well

Thanks guys :D i will deffiantly run the filters side by side for a couple of weeks and im going to use a filter sponge out of my juwel filter to speed it up a little thats great advice and ill pick up a paint scraper bae ill try that and if that dont work ill use a shaver like you said

Cheers :D

Tw3lv3.

A 'Stanley' scraper from B&Q/Homebase will do the trick, and will do it quickly. You can use something like surgical spirit in the tank to assist, but use sparingly.

A 'Stanley' scraper from B&Q/Homebase will do the trick, and will do it quickly. You can use something like surgical spirit in the tank to assist, but use sparingly.

its got fish and water in tho

its got fish and water in tho

Aah, sorry, in that case just the scraper. I would attempt to take the silicon off as a fewer large bits then many small bits.

Most reactions

Back