Juwel Rio 180 Light Failure

Gremily

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
This morning the lights on my Juwel Rio 180 (Multilux 100) don't seem to be working properly. When I flick the switch the lights buzz and flicker a little for a couple of seconds and then just go off. The same happens after leaving them off for a few seconds and then tuning back on.

I can't work out how to get into the box to see if there's a wiring issue, so any help or similar experiences would be useful as I don't really want to have to buy a replacement (~£60).

Thanks!

This morning the lights on my Juwel Rio 180 (Multilux 100) don't seem to be working properly. When I flick the switch the lights buzz and flicker a little for a couple of seconds and then just go off. The same happens after leaving them off for a few seconds and then tuning back on.

I can't work out how to get into the box to see if there's a wiring issue, so any help or similar experiences would be useful as I don't really want to have to buy a replacement (~£60).

Thanks!

If there T8's then it will be the starter in the ballast wich will require opening up and replaceing unless theres an opening for it. it should look like a small plastic cylinder when you find it and it removes by twisting to the left like a lightbulb and these can be brought from wilkinsons or b&q for bout 50p.

If its a T5 lighting system then the bulbs have starters bult in them and you would need to try new bulbs.

Carl

Try replacing the bulbs, it might just be that one/both have gone
Unfortunately Juwel are infamous for having poor lighting systems, and as it is a sealed unit you cannot remove and replace the starter so a new unit might be needed

Try replacing the bulbs, it might just be that one/both have gone
Unfortunately Juwel are infamous for having poor lighting systems, and as it is a sealed unit you cannot remove and replace the starter so a new unit might be needed

you can actually replace the ballasts, its just a pain to get the unit open from what iv heard, there was a thread ages ago where a guy posted up pictures of his opened light unit (didn't mention how he opened it it)and the water damage to the ballast, he got a new ballast sealed it up and all was fine (there electronic ballasts so quite easy to get a hold of).

my t8 light unit went on my vision 180, pets at home replaced it under juwels 2 year warranty, they didn't ask for the old light unit back so im planning on converting it to t5, would good to know how to open it up though.

Kev

The light unit on one of my Rio's failed so I cut the light bar open, removed the electronic balast (I couldn't source parts to repair it) then using two spare aquarium light units (balasts), I cut the sockets off of the light unit outputs and fed the cables into the bar and connected them to the light bar's sockets. I then re-sealed the light bar using aquarium sillicone rubber (making sure the cables in particular were well sealed). I also re-sealed the light unit's tube sockets which looked as iff they had let moisture in.

Most reactions

Back