Juwel Lighting

george4

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My juwel rio 400 lighting unit has jus died and we are pretty sure it is an internal fault so the whole bar needs replacing. This will set me back about £80. Are there any alternatives that look good and perhaps offer better light intensity? thanks

you cant can you ? the whole thing is sealed , to get into it i would have to destroy it i think

i have a 260 vision on the light bar there are two circules that unscrew normally at the ends. they have a rubber seal to stop the water getting in. my tank is quite old and were a bit stiff due to a build of a lime. but after i got the cap off and replaced the starters it worked fine. might be worth seeing if it has these and trying that before buying a new one?

here are the starters so you must be able to get to them?

http://www.aquatics-online.co.uk/catalogue...accessories.asp

could you explain where they are on your bar ? thanks

will try? my has two bulbs in it. i think you need to take the bulb's out (once the light unit is out? mine can be removed completely?) the starters are under a bung or gromit type thing, you should have one at least on either side, it will be either one or two depends on if it's a serial or parralel. i hope that has helpped a little i will try to get some pics of mine and try to show you how mine looks. should be simular?

yer i would really appreciate that as i can see anything similar to what you are talkin about > it is a new tank tho ... but i have an older juwel tank and cant find them on that either

sorry and thanks v much

The newer models (after 2001) have electronic ballasts which dont use starters and all the electronic gear is inside the sealed unit. I really thought Juwel would have sorted this problem out by now, i had this happen to my Rio 300 twice over 5 years ago and it was meant to only be a production error then, just shows what a shoddy company they are.

oh rite that explains it lol , wel yer im beginning to realise that so is there nothing i can do except from send it back?

How long have you had the tank? You may be able to get it replaced under warrenty if it isnt that long, i'd expect them to replace it up to about 18 months.

i was woundering if it was something like that, my friend had a tetra one that worked the same way and that broke too. lol. stick too old school low tech stuff. it works lol. so you don't need a pic now then. lol

no but thanks very much for offer . yer i should reading peoples comments about the juwel lights i dont want to replace it with another juwel one but dont no of any think that would fit my tank and look good. Does anyone know if it is certain that the lights only function with 2 tubes in as my older tank will work with just one and anyone know how to check for definite that the tubes are not broken ? thank you

yer tank is only about four months old,, but i brought it off internet which means its going to be a massive pain to send back. juwel do not let you send it direct to them either lol

I Went though 4 Juwel Lights in about 3 weeks, luckily they were under warantee. I ripped one apart the see if i could find any obvious faults but it was something in the electronics. Anyway i eventually got one that has kept working for about 3 months now. To replace to something else would take a bit of design work but im sure it could be done, but please consider any electrical dangers as they are very close to the water.

Most reactions

Back