Juwel Lido 200 filter vs External Fluval 307

monkeymagic

Reaction score
I'm upgrading to a Juwel Lido 200 tank. This comes with a Bioflow M and Eccoflow 600 pump (600 l/h).

I already own an old Fluval 307 external canister filter that should do 1150/lh (although it must be 10 years old by now so not sure if it's still doing that much)

I can't decide whether to go with the new filter, or keep the old filter.

FYI:
The tank will be moderately well planted
If I stuck with the old filter I could probably sell the new one + pump for £80 or so. I'm not sure if I can sell the Fluval as it's old and very battered.
Obviously won't overstock but it'd be nice if it was reasonably busy and I do tend to be a little erratic with how often I do water changes.

Juwel filter

Pros:
Cheaper to run (presumably as less power)
No external hoses, in tank so no chance of leaks
New so should be reliable

Cons:
Takes some room in the tank
Might need to do more water changes as less powerful than 307?

Fluval 307

Pros:
More powerful so might need to do fewer water changes?

Cons:
Possibly power is overkill and more expensive to run?
Danger of leaks
Old

Any thoughts to help me make up my mind appreciated, thanks!

With live plants, your filter is really only there to move the water around and perform mechanical filtration. Not biological, so there is no relation between filter and water changes--the latter are needed regardless if the fish are to be healthy.

So that brings us to the all-important factor, the intended fish species. The filter flow needs to be suited to the fishes' needs.

Thanks for the quick response. I will do plenty of water changes (I've had a 180l tank for years, so this is all being transferred to the 200l, I should have said), it's just that I imagine slightly less often will be necessary with a bigger filter. Or at least it might be more forgiving if I leave a longer gap than usual between changes for some reason.

Currently I have very low stocks intentionally - 12 neon tetra, 2 mollies, 2 rams and a few amano shrimp. I'll be adding to this but haven't decided what yet. Nothing unusual though.

Thanks for the quick response. I will do plenty of water changes (I've had a 180l tank for years, so this is all being transferred to the 200l, I should have said), it's just that I imagine slightly less often will be necessary with a bigger filter. Or at least it might be more forgiving if I leave a longer gap than usual between changes for some reason.

This is a misconception many have. But filter and water changes are two totally different things when it comes to the result. They are not interchangeable, all else being equal (not overstocked, overfed, etc). The filter removes suspended particulate matter making the water clear. The biological aspect deals with ammonia/nitrite and to some degree nitrate, but these are more quickly handled by the plants taking up ammonia/ammonium and not producing nitrite or nitrate as a consequence. The actual "pollution" in the water remains in the water until it is changed. You can have a healthy aquarium with no "filter" as such (I have), but not without water changes. The reverse is not true (no water changes because of the filter).

Currently I have very low stocks intentionally - 12 neon tetra, 2 mollies, 2 rams and a few amano shrimp. I'll be adding to this but haven't decided what yet. Nothing unusual though.

These fish like calmer waters, the molly a possible exception, so I would not go for strong current filters but less.

Most reactions

Back