Juwel 3D Backgrounds

matt_storey

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I'm thinking of buy a 3d background for my trigon 190l.

before i go ahead i have a few questions -

- What sizes will i need? tank dimensions are Aquarium Dimension 98.5 (bowfront) x 70 (backs) x 59.5cm (height)
- Best way to fix them
- How would i fix the internal filter and heater?

Any additional advice is more than welcome :D

Cheers Matt

interested to see where the heater etc will go

also this is the range for mine but seems like a good site for it...http://www.animalsource.co.uk/juwel-3d-aquarium-backgrounds---rio-range-2532-p.asp

im not sure how it would be to do on a trigon matt but they really do look great when fitted.

i had one in a 2ft tank and it really did look the biz. they are easily cut to size with a sharpe knife so getting them to fit shouldnt be too hard and i would have thought that a juwel background would be made to fit perfectly in a juwel tank.

it will need to be siliconed in though so the tank will need to be empty while its fitted and for it to dry. dont let this put you off as it will look great when all done and worth the effort :good:

i was thinking.... now tell me if im wrong but,

how secure does the backing need to be? couldnt i empty half-2/3 of the tank and silicone that in place? if not the fish can all go in my 125l, itll be a little cramped but will only be for the day :)

you could try but it will have to stay like that until it dries and it will probably take longer as it will be wet and damp.

better off emptying the tank it will make things so much easier and probably less stressfull for the fish too

Hi

A) You can get 1 big background for your tank made by juwel so custom fit, think it was about £65 but no cutting.

B) you could get away wih putting 3 10p sice blobs on all edges

c) you can get sealent safe for fish and which sets IN water so need to remove(pond guys use them alot)

hope it helps

to be fair the tank needs emptying completely. You will have a nightmare trying to get it on whilst water is in the tank. With them being polystyrene they will lift in the smallest amount of water, and maybe even break. They do need 24 hours to dry as well, or there will be silicone leakage all over the tank.

well thats the backgrounds bought :)

2x 600x550 lime backgrounds :)

about the silicone (yes i know i can get it from juwel but at £6 for 80ml?!!?!)

can i use sanitary stuff from screwfix? its 90p a tube

i know it sounds stingey but ive just spent £52 on the background :p and its not pay day till the end of the month :p

affraid not matt you will need aquarium safe silicone.....

just think of the tank once its done and £5-6 for a tube of silicone compared to what you have spent on the background is nothing. do it once and do it right :good:

ahhhh thought that would be the answer :p

not to worry :p im going to put the filtration unit back in the tank to resolve the problem of fixing the heater and filter!

it wont look too bad with some plants covering it :)

You don't need specific Juwel silicone, any aquarium silicone will suffice, and use as little as possible.

I got the clay ones a few days ago.

I thought they were going to be amazing quality and look great BUT i don't think so, i also spent the same as you.

They are not easy to cut and often some of the paint comes off as you break them.

My tank has 2 pieces that i cut to size and because it's 2 bits, there is a line right down the centre of the tank, i think it looks quite rubbish!!

I have plants there but you can still see the line!

Personally i decided against using silicone as it just wasn't necessary for me. They are tightly fitted and have no chance of moving.

Hope yours look nice :)

I have the tree root and rocks Juwel backgrounds. It was only once the water went in the tank that I went "Wow!" - until that point I felt I had been conned LOL. They don't look much until they are in the water and then suddenly their depth "grows" and look more 3D.

I love them - although, yes, as someone else mentioned, I wish the joining line wasn't so obvious! I need to buy more longer length plants to position in front of the line and then I will be happier.

Hope yours works out fine Matt!

Oh - and my b/f managed to get a large tube of the sealant from our local glaziers who make aquariums. Was only a few quid for a massive tube.

Regards, Athena

Most reactions

Back