Juveniles Or Adults?

**sarahp**

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I went down to one of my lfs's today. They have most of the types of fish that I would like to stock when my tank is fully cycled, but they were all juvenile. Is it better to stock with adults or does everyone get along better if they are introduced as youngsters and grow up together or is that just me anthropomorphizising??

Or does it make no difference at all

Its largelly about the money. Although generally with more agressive types of fish raising together from young can cut down on problems. Theres the simple economics of transport and holding and feeding costs, its far cheaper to breed fish and raise them for 2 months before shippping them out 200 to a box than to raise a fish for 2 years then ship it out 20 in a box, quite often juvenile fish will deal with the global transport better than adults as well, bear in mind that most of the fish you will buy will come from asian farms and have to spend 24 hours+ in a box with no filter heating or air supply! You wouldnt want to think of the cost per fish if everyone were having to raise and ship adult fish. Besides if youbuy young you know that you have the full life expectancy of the fish aheadof you instead of not knowing if you are buying ex breeding stock in its retirement years.

Some people report success in keeping fish like angels and neon tetras together if they were both put together when young, but in the vast majority of cases...putting a larger fish with smaller fish that it can eat is a bad idea.

Some fish do grow nastier when older/mature. Chinese Algae Eaters for example stop eating algae and get to be aggressive when they mature! Likewise, individual fish might get along with their tank inhabitants for months/years and then one day "snap" and go on a killing spree.

The only other "age related" thing I can think of is adding new fish to an established tank to replace ones that have died. In that situation it's usually less about ages, and more about territory...rearranging decor to remove existing territory boundaries can sometimes help in that case.

Besides if you buy young you know that you have the full life expectancy of the fish aheadof you instead of not knowing if you are buying ex breeding stock in its retirement years.

Blimey I hadn't even tought of that!!! TBH it was just so weird/cute to see all these tiny little fish :blush: I reckon the lfs must have had a delivery or something. There were zebra loaches about 2cm long and khulies that were like little coloured shoe laces :lol: and some fantastic rainbows, boesemani, reds and blues - infact - they were all fab. :drool:

One thing though - and I expect this is quite common - there were fish that were the exact copy of their neighbours but with different names and prices. One that struck me that I can remember - Harlequin Rasbora for about £1.20 but Copper Rasbora for £1.95 - I thought Copper was a common name for HArlequin or are they different?

I buy my fish as young as possible just so that I can enjoy them as long as possible. :good:

I buy my fish as young as possible just so that I can enjoy them as long as possible. :good:

Yeah - I really like the idea of buying them all as littlies :blush: I know I wont get the full 'wow' factor that I would if I bought and stocked adults immediately but I just like the idea of them all growing up together and with us being able to watch.

Does that make me sad :blush: :unsure: :blush:

Copper Rasboras can be R. hengeli which look similar to Harlequins, but are not the same species.

got hengeli here I believe they stay a little smaller have a slightly different body shape than the harlequin, I just liked the fact that they were something a little different.

Copper Rasboras can be R. hengeli which look similar to Harlequins, but are not the same species.

Yep that was them - the trouble is the lfs doesnt label anything with latin names so its a bit of a russian roulette :rolleyes:

Yep that was them - the trouble is the lfs doesnt label anything with latin names so its a bit of a russian roulette :rolleyes:

One day if you stick with fish long enough you will start shaking your head at LFS labels with latin names for corydoras julii and trilineatus :D, Identifying species can be hard, and many LFS just go with what their wholesaler tells them, who in turn often only go with what the consolidators tell them.

LOL...you know how I identify C. Julii? If it's cheap...it's not C. Julii! I can't tell the difference yet otherwise...luckily for me I'm happy with cheap corydoras (although I wouldn't mind getting my hands on some C. aeneus "Orange Laser")

LOL...you know how I identify C. Julii? If it's cheap...it's not C. Julii! I can't tell the difference yet otherwise...luckily for me I'm happy with cheap corydoras (although I wouldn't mind getting my hands on some C. aeneus "Orange Laser")

Massive difference Julii is spotted the trilineatus has more regular markings:D

You can actually often find them mixed and pick out the species you want, I believe theyve probably been cross bred so much in the fish farms that you just pick the type you like, most will be hybrids anyway!

This is a good picture of trilineatus -

http://www.koi-aquaristik-partner.at/zierf...ras%20Julii.JPG

Theres a goodish clear picture of the julii on this page -

http://www.scotcat.com/factsheets/c_trilineatus.htm

Im a corydoras adolfoi fan, although c. imitator and c.duplicareus will do the job as well, all are pricey though :(

lol...we've managed to totally hijack this thread! But yeah, C. adolfoi is one of my favorites...I keep meaning to special order some...

Personally I like buying younger fish, I find it more rewarding to know that because of your care they're growing nicly, I also like to buy them young because it allows me to have more time with the fish to admire them :)

Most reactions

Back