Just sucked up one of my Corys!

Hope the little dude, and @Deanasue 's betta, make a swift recovery!
I haven't sucked up a larger fish (yet), but have had several guppy fry and a few small shrimp take a trip through the tube without my realising until I checked the bucket. I used to be really worried about gravel vacc-ing when I had my first guppy fry, the idea of accidentally throwing out tiny guppy fry without knowing really upset me. Have a system now though that means I don't worry anymore.

Couple of tips for anyone keeping anything tiny that might go through the syphon:
Start the syphon, then hold your thumb over the end of the tube that's in the bucket. This gives you a lot more control over the flow. Just remove your thumb when you want it to suck, place your thumb back over it when you want it to pause.

Useful to do this so you don't end up draining most of the tank water before you've even finished your gravel vac. Just place tube in gravel, let it suck until the gack is gone, pause the flow and let gravel fall again, move the tube to the next section you want to clean and gently use the tube to nudge any fish or shrimp away; replace tube in gravel and remove your thumb again; repeat until you're done with gravel cleaning. Having this control allows you to stop the suction if something gets too close to the end of the tube. You can even pause the flow while the fry is still in the large tube bit, allowing you to take the tube out of the water and gently pour it back into the tank before it goes through the hose. Just angle the tube slightly upwards, keeping your thumb over the end the whole time; lift out of water to break the suction, then put close to the water and gently tip the fry back in. Very useful if something larger that might get stuck in the hose gets sucked up and you spot it in time.

Also, get some white or other light coloured buckets for water changes. I had a purple fish bucket at first, but it was impossible to spot fry in there. With a white bucket, the little eyes and movement are easy to see, so I can net them back out and into the tank. Tiny shrimp are harder, since they're almost completely see through when small, and they hide among the mulm at the bottom of the bucket. Let the water settle for a few minutes and watch for movement. Moving the bucket into a windowsill or outside so natural light shines on it makes it even easier to see. If there's a lot of muck in the bucket, you can stir it, pour some into a second lighter bucket, let that settle, and check that smaller, less dirty amount for movement. Makes the process slow and more work, but I saved some tiny invisible shrimplets by doing this that I would have missed if I'd just checked the full bucket once then tipped it out.

Last one - if you don't have a gravel cleaner with a bulb to start the syphon, this method lets you start a syphon without risking a mouthful of nasty tank water:
. Cory pauses the flow when gravel cleaning too, by crimping the hose, but personally I find the thumb over the end of the tube easier.

Last edited:
I siphon with a 50 foot hose... drains directly into the bathtub.

Usually as a precaution I keep the plug in the tub until I'm done draining.

But after 2 neon tetras going for a long trip across the house, I put a mesh over the hose now to prevent fish going in haha

I siphon with a 50 foot hose... drains directly into the bathtub.

Usually as a precaution I keep the plug in the tub until I'm done draining.

But after 2 neon tetras going for a long trip across the house, I put a mesh over the hose now to prevent fish going in haha
I'd love to do the mesh method, but can't seem to make it work for a tank with shrimp and guppy fry. Can't put mesh over the end of the bell since I have gravel and need to push the bell quite deep into the gravel, so tried putting mesh, then tried sponge, inside the bell. But anything fine enough to prevent guppy fry going through was also fine enough to clog up with detritus and I needed to keep clearing it out and restarting the syphon, annoying! Also thought that if a guppy fry or shrimp did get sucked up and was caught against the mesh inside, it would get more injured from the suction pushing it against the mesh than it would by going through the tube. Obviously doesn't apply to neons since they're big enough and strong enough to get away from the suction :)

I guess how you do it depends on what you have in the tank and your preferred method, not just one fool-proof method. Some trial and error involved. And that it's almost inevitable that sucking up a fish will happen to all of us at some point!

I suck up the snail all the time... they go for a good tumble and then block the hole so so water can syphon out so I have to start over again :rolleyes:
I suck up snails a lot. Its' got to the point where I have so much, I don't care any more.

Hope the little dude, and @Deanasue 's betta, make a swift recovery!
I haven't sucked up a larger fish (yet), but have had several guppy fry and a few small shrimp take a trip through the tube without my realising until I checked the bucket. I used to be really worried about gravel vacc-ing when I had my first guppy fry, the idea of accidentally throwing out tiny guppy fry without knowing really upset me. Have a system now though that means I don't worry anymore.

Couple of tips for anyone keeping anything tiny that might go through the syphon:
Start the syphon, then hold your thumb over the end of the tube that's in the bucket. This gives you a lot more control over the flow. Just remove your thumb when you want it to suck, place your thumb back over it when you want it to pause.

Useful to do this so you don't end up draining most of the tank water before you've even finished your gravel vac. Just place tube in gravel, let it suck until the gack is gone, pause the flow and let gravel fall again, move the tube to the next section you want to clean and gently use the tube to nudge any fish or shrimp away; replace tube in gravel and remove your thumb again; repeat until you're done with gravel cleaning. Having this control allows you to stop the suction if something gets too close to the end of the tube. You can even pause the flow while the fry is still in the large tube bit, allowing you to take the tube out of the water and gently pour it back into the tank before it goes through the hose. Just angle the tube slightly upwards, keeping your thumb over the end the whole time; lift out of water to break the suction, then put close to the water and gently tip the fry back in. Very useful if something larger that might get stuck in the hose gets sucked up and you spot it in time.

Also, get some white or other light coloured buckets for water changes. I had a purple fish bucket at first, but it was impossible to spot fry in there. With a white bucket, the little eyes and movement are easy to see, so I can net them back out and into the tank. Tiny shrimp are harder, since they're almost completely see through when small, and they hide among the mulm at the bottom of the bucket. Let the water settle for a few minutes and watch for movement. Moving the bucket into a windowsill or outside so natural light shines on it makes it even easier to see. If there's a lot of muck in the bucket, you can stir it, pour some into a second lighter bucket, let that settle, and check that smaller, less dirty amount for movement. Makes the process slow and more work, but I saved some tiny invisible shrimplets by doing this that I would have missed if I'd just checked the full bucket once then tipped it out.

Last one - if you don't have a gravel cleaner with a bulb to start the syphon, this method lets you start a syphon without risking a mouthful of nasty tank water:
. Cory pauses the flow when gravel cleaning too, by crimping the hose, but personally I find the thumb over the end of the tube easier.
Very informative :good:

My siphon has a grate on it that still let's debris through, but no full sized fish. The occasional fry may go through

Most reactions

Back