Just Starting Out

guyt

Reaction score
hello i have had my tank running for two weeks and about to buy some fish to start a community tank and would like to know what fish pepole would recomend so that i have a spread of fish in the top middle and bottom of my tank i have the aqua one 620t i have read that one inch of fish to one galon of water is recomended and would like to have a range of differant fish in the tank an advice is welcom

Hello and welcome, I'm really not sure how that one inch of fish to one gallon works so I cannot really say, how many liters/gallons does your tank hold?

Hello and welcome, I'm really not sure how that one inch of fish to one gallon works so I cannot really say, how many liters/gallons does your tank hold?
hi it holds 13o litters but with all the plants and rocks ect i would say more like 90 litters of water

you good have a good few live bearers if u wanted to breed or even just one sex of them in the tank guppies mollies endlers platys ect some corys what is your substrate ?? sand or gravel ??

unless youve used some media from an old filter, i can promise you any fish you put in now will die. which is bad times.

you need to read up on cycling a fish tank, getting your filter ready to deal with fish waste, which keeps your water good, which stops your fish dieing.

I would advise for you to leave the tank a little longer before you introduce any fish and when you do introduce them do not put to many in at once, slow and steady. If you want a good community tank go for fish like neon tetras, a pleco, some swordtails, guppys, mollys those 3 breeds are live bearers. Just dont put to many in at once due to causing them stress and also you need to ensure that the tank is cycled and ready. I always go for live plants, not everyone does, but as I have alot of live bearers I prefer live plants as the fry have a good chance of survival.

Darren

Currently have 34 baby swordtails and 19 baby guppys

My main area of knowledge

thank you all for your advise i will leave it a bit longer before i go and start getting my fish

I would hold off before getting any neon tetras. They prefer an established tank.

thank you all for your advise i will leave it a bit longer before i go and start getting my fish

its not just a case of leaving the tank longer, you need to actively build up your bacteria in the filter. did you read about the cycling ? to start producing bacteria, you need ammonia. to get ammonia you need it in a bottle (fishless cycling), or you need it to be coming out of a fish' #14### (fish in cycling). simply letting your tank sit there will not produce ammonia, or bacteria. it will be no different in 6 weeks to how it is now.

its not just a case of leaving the tank longer, you need to actively build up your bacteria in the filter. did you read about the cycling ? to start producing bacteria, you need ammonia. to get ammonia you need it in a bottle (fishless cycling), or you need it to be coming out of a fish' #14### (fish in cycling). simply letting your tank sit there will not produce ammonia, or bacteria. it will be no different in 6 weeks to how it is now.

thanks just read the artical and will use the add and waight methard and will keep you all posted thanks again

Hello and welcome to the forum

Keith.

Most reactions

Back