Just Starting Off

From what I've found on a quick google search is that they get at least a foot long, should be in a 55 gallon aquarium, need to be fed bloodworms, brine shrimp, mosquito larvea, daphania and the like, should not be housed in a gravel substrate aquarium and their eyes can be sensitive to light, so they'll hide a lot. And should be kept in brackish.

From: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/brackishsubwebindex/violetgobyfaqs.htm

Hello,
OK I have heard and read much about this wonderful fish that I recently lost in our fish tank. I will try again with another, but before I do, I want to be sure that I have as much information as possible so that I can assure that the Goby has a fair shot at a decent life here.
<Indeed.>
First, I keep reading about sand as a definite MUST have in the Brackish tank. OK<..this is great,. but would somebody please tell what kind of sand (please be specific) is OK for the tank? I keep hearing that Marine Sand (about the only one I can seem to find in stores and online) is NOT acceptable. If there is indeed an acceptable sand for this Goby,...a brand name or specific type would be most appreciated!!
<Marine sand would be fine though perhaps not the ideal. Smooth silica sand (also called "silver sand") would be nice, as would smooth river sand. Basically avoid anything jagged. These fish feed (in part) by plowing through mud, filtering out small prey; let them do this in the aquarium. They also eat plankton from midwater and algae scraped from rocks. In the aquarium, feed bloodworms, algae wafers, and periodically "plankton" in the form of brine shrimp or daphnia.>
Also,...the salt factor seems to be up for debate as well.
<Only debated by the ignorant; these are estuarine fish, period.>
I've been told Marine Salt is not advisable, yet I've been told Aquarium Salt is not good either? Can you please clear this up for me? What kind and how much per gallon of water?
<Marine salt mix, of the type used in marine aquaria. Instant Ocean, Reef Crystals... whatever is cheap and easily obtainable in your area. Aquarium "tonic" salt, the stuff used in freshwater tanks, is not acceptable, and neither is cooking salt. As for the amount, you're aiming for 25-50% salinity of normal seawater, i.e., 9-18 grammes of salt mix per litre of water at 25 degrees C. That should result in a specific gravity of SG 1.005 to SG 1.012. The precise value you aim for doesn't matter, just so long as it is kept reasonably consistent over time: sudden, dramatic changes in salinity will stress/kill the filter bacteria.>
Thanks so much,....I love your informative site!
I also wonder if the Australian Desert Goby would be OK in Brackish water too with the Violet Goby.
<Chlamydogobius eremius is indeed tolerant of brackish water. It can actually do perfectly well in anything from hard freshwater through to twice the salinity of seawater. Should be fine with the Gobioides sp., though don't force them to compete for space or burrows. Set up some small caves for the Chlamydogobius eremius, and then some sand and larger burrows (PVC tubes are ideal) for the Gobioides.>
td
<Cheers, Neale.>

Sick Dragon Goby - please help! 3-11-08
Hi Guys!
I desperately need help with my new Dragon Goby.
<Ah, before we get started, do make sure you have this fish in a proper brackish water aquarium; their lifespan in freshwater aquaria is poor.>
I was at Pet Smart the other day to buy some small fish for our freshwater tank when I saw their new addition: Dragon Gobies!
<Uh oh.>
So I asked the sales associate (who on previous occasions had proven to be quite knowledgeable when it came to freshwater setups) whether or not this little guy would make a good addition to my tank. He assured me that the Goby should get along famously with his new tank mates and
that the setup I had would be perfect.
<I see where this is going...>
So I bought one and took him home.
<Never a good idea BEFORE you've read up on a fish. This is absolutely crucial when we're talking about oddball fish because so many of them have "issues" that need to be accommodated. That's why they're oddballs and not common community fish -- because they're DIFFERENT to regular community fish!>
Our tank is 110 Gallons, fresh/brackish water.
<No such hybrid; that's like being both pregnant and not pregnant at the same time. You either have a freshwater tank or a brackish water tank. Yes, some freshwater fish do well in brackish water (e.g., Guppies) but that doesn't mean that you can set a tank up that is acceptable to both brackish and freshwater fish at the same time.>
We have a cichlid substrate in the bottom, so the PH is a steady 8.0.
<You mean coral sand? Good; that's fine for this fish.>
The filter is well established and our ammonia is nonexistent, as is the Nitrite level. We don't have a heater in the tank, but the temperature never falls below 70F.
<Nope, you need a heater. Doesn't work this way. Gobioides broussonnetii shouldn't be kept below 72F/22C, and most other brackish water fish are from the tropics, and will be stressed when the water temperature stays below 77F/25C for any length of time.>
Everything is natural - slate backdrop, substrate floor, tree roots and live plants... and recently plenty of algae.
<Algae is good: Gobioides broussonnetii is partly an algae-eater, and uses its sharp teeth to scrape green algae from rocks.>

And: http://whozoo.org/Anlife2001/johangus/jg_dragonfish.htm This is one kept at an actual zoo.

OK so to put it simply it wont do well if I just stick em in my freshwater tank and also wont do well with it being only a 20 gallon... But I still think its so cool i really want one.. any way to make it work? I have some sort of hiding spot for it...
If theres just no way I wont get one as it would just be torture for which ever one I pick up from petsmart.

Unless you are willing to buy a 55 gallon tank and filter, buy special sand, feed special food, and buy special salt, then you shouldn't get one. I understand that they are really cool and have a unique look, but they just aren't for the average fishkeeper.

Well then any suggestions for a cool looking fish that is easier to care for?
That will be fine being in a 20 gallon with simple plants and sand

Im still not too sure what are the levels I have 4 danios in there and they seem fine Im thinking of getting a test next week..
but what would be suitable to have in mind for now? I was thinking of neon tetras but they are highly sensitive

Fish that are suitable to a 20 gallon tank are most of the tetras, coryadoras catfish, some of the livebearers (guppies, endlers,) dwarf gouramis, leopard danios, zebra danios, white cloud mountain minnows (they like cooler water though,) galaxy rasboras, harlequin rasboras, and a host of others I am sure I am forgetting. There are plenty of fish that you could have, each distinct in their own right and some being more suitable than others depending on your water parameters and other stock.

Getting a test kit is one of the most important things that you can do. This gives you a window that allows you to see what is really going on in your tank, and can alert you to possible problems before they get out of hand.

OK then I was planning on getting the test done before getting more fish anyways but just wanted some feedback on any cool fish worth knowing about, well thanks all for helping me out

Most reactions

Back