Just Starting Again

Lil_Frog

Reaction score
Okay, I have had saltwater tanks for years and last year I lost my fish due to a BAD infection that was never identified by me or my lfs, so I gave up on my saltwater tanks temporarily. My mom told me to start a fresh water tank because they are less of a hassle and everything because I am pregnant . So, today I restarted with a freshwater tank. I went up to walmart (although I usually don't go there for fish). I saw a clawed frog. My fetus's nickname is "frog" so I got a tank and decided that I would get a small frog. Well, then I noticed a small spotted green puffer and I have had experience with different kinds of fish in the past. I noticed that they need the aquarium salt, so I asked my lfs (called Pass Road Pet Center where I got ALL my saltwater fish in the past) and asked him if the frog and the puffer were compatible. He said they were so I bought the little puffer (who looked in GREAT condition) and the frog (who was nice and plumb and readily eating ghost shrimp when I walked up). So, they are temporarily living in a 5 gallon tank while my 56 gallon tank is getting set up and ready to go! This way, if there is anything wrong with the fish or the frog, I can catch it before it's too late. Also, I plan to continue using the 5 gallon as a isolation tank to rule out an diseases so that if I get future fish, my established ones will not be contaminated. I bought shrimp pellets (It's what my lfs recommended for the puffer) and some ghost shrimp for the frog.

Has anyone heard of any downfalls to putting these two aquatic species together?

From what I know, puffers are not good when mixed with other species. Their beaks are very dangerous to other fish (and livestock) and they can be aggressive.

I'm not sure how big green spots get, but I do know that ACFs are pretty voracious eaters and when they get bigger, will make a meal of any smaller livestock in the tank.

Hopefully someone with experience of these two creatures will be able to advise.

Most reactions

Back