Just Started Up A New Tank But Do I Keep It Or Not?

mooey65

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I had four fish tanks 130L, 70L That I gave away could the lady of the home said it looked to tacky, A 54L that's not doing anything its bran new just sat on top of my freezer and a 35L arc.

I have had the arc running for about 1week now and here is how it looks.

23022009042.jpg

23022009041.jpg

25022009043.jpg

Now I have chosen to only have two tanks the 130L is staying.

Here is a pic.

10022009025.jpg

The 54L one is the same as this one from aldi.
Clicky

Now I can not have all three the misses will not be happy (And am the one that's got to live with her)

Do I keep the Arc?
Do I keep the 54L?
Or do I go for a bigger tank?

I need you help on this one and before you lot ask I do not know what I would like to keep any help will be thanked.

Cichlids set up maybe I need to make up my mind on this soon.

Why's the gravel in the arc on a slope? :S

I say get bigger. :)

people put gravel on a slope to add a sense of depth to an aquarium. it is very effective especially in larger tanks

Indeed they do, but there's a lot of substrate in there which means a lot of water displacement, particularly as it's not a large tank to begin with.

I would also go for the bigger one, however i do like the look of the arc!

Why's the gravel in the arc on a slope? :S

I say get bigger. :)

people put gravel on a slope to add a sense of depth to an aquarium. it is very effective especially in larger tanks

Indeed they do, but there's a lot of substrate in there which means a lot of water displacement, particularly as it's not a large tank to begin with.

I was thinking the same. Far too much gravel in there for my liking.

you need a slope, but that is ridiculous, its meant to be like 6 cm rising to 8 not that much, if it were me i would keep the arc and get rid of the aldi tank

If you go with a Cichlid tank, you will need a bigger tank than the ones you have.

The smallest tank that is recommend for full grown Cichlids should be around a 55 gallon US tank, or about 210+ liters. :nod:

-FHM

I know these to much gravel in the arc I just went over the top a wee bit.

Iv got a sideboard that a tank can go but its only 47" 1" less than 4ft gutting.

What type of set up will be ok for a 3ft tank?

You've also got some non-aquatic plants in that planted tank that need to go or they will rot. You might already know this in which case - sorry ;)

If you go with a Cichlid tank, you will need a bigger tank than the ones you have.

The smallest tank that is recommend for full grown Cichlids should be around a 55 gallon US tank, or about 210+ liters. :nod:

-FHM

No offense, but please clarify on this, I mean cichlids can vary from <5cm to 2' or more its a little to general IMO :crazy:
You can get some quite nice cichlids in a 100-150L tank that are not dwarfs

-FHM

No offense, but please clarify on this, I mean cichlids can vary from <5cm to 2' or more its a little to general IMO :crazy:
You can get some quite nice cichlids in a 100-150L tank that are not dwarfs
Right, there are some less aggressive Cichlids out there. Then I guess it really comes down to what kind of Cichlid you are going to be getting and how many as well before we can make a decision on what size tank with be adequate. If you go with any kind of Malawi Cichlid, which are pretty aggressive, you will need a larger tank. These Cichlids will get up to and over 6 inches long easily, and should be kept in groups of 6 or more to spread aggression.

So what you have to do I guess is figure out how many and what species Cichlid you will be getting, and with that info, you will be able to make a decision on what size tank would be most suitable.

Hope this clarifies stuff a little more?
If not, do not hesitate to ask!
-FHM :fish:

Most reactions

Back