Just Saying High! ...newbie

CrabbyForever

Reaction score
Hi everyone! :)

I don't have fish yet, however I'm hoping to get some this summer, and I'm not sure what kind yet but I really like guppies and platies. (However what I really want is a kind of fish that's pretty and doesn't need a large tank, and is ok for a beginner) I do have 22 land hermit crabs (of 4 different species) and they're pretty fun, but I really like fish so I decided to join here and do some research before actually getting any, so that I don't end up doing everything wrong.

Anyway, just saying hi! :D If anyone has any suggestions or advice on good fish for beginners, that would be great, although I'm going to be looking around the forums anyways so it wouldn't be really nessecary. :fun:

My advice... cycle your tank before getting any fish!!! There is a pinned topic on this in the beginner's section. Cycling takes about a month, but you need to cycle or else your fish will suffer and probably die :(
Also, research everything before you get it... a fish might look tiny, but then turn out to be huge in adult size!!
Don't trust what your lfs (local fish shop) tells you, they are often just trying to sell you stuff and don't care about how your fish turn out, check on here first.
:hi: hope you enjoy the forums :)

My advice... cycle your tank before getting any fish!!! ....research everything before you get it... a fish might look tiny, but then turn out to be huge in adult size!!

Hello and
welcomeani.gif

Both of these are the best advice you can get. Especially the second part, if you see a fish or fishes in the pet store that you like dont just buy right away, take down the name and research it on the internet via Google or Here.

Chances are if the store has plenty they will still have some when you go back to get them after researching. This way you wont end up with fish that will get too big for your tank.

Another good tip which i also do, is at any store you will be buying fish, find out when they take delivery of fish from their supplier. If they have a delivery day of wednesday then dont buy till saturday (as an example). This will give a few days (a week is better) for them to de-stress before getting moved again to your tank.

Most reactions

Back