Just Need A Bit Of Expert Advice

Would the Juwel filtration kit that comes with the Rekord 600 be enough for the 63 litre?

Agreed. If you are going with an external, they reccomend 5x filtration. I would go with 8x filtration in a tank that size with a fancy. If you are going with a HOB (hang on back) filter, they reccomen 10x filtration. I would reccomend 18x or 20x filtration.

Just as a final question.

Would most people here advise me to do the fish-in cycle?
Even if I changed Stan's bowl water everyday and kept a close eye on him?

Would he be better off in the big tank even though it is not cycled?

I don't mind having to do daily water changes in regard to a fish-in cycle, I just don't want to cause the little guy distress and risk having a tank that won't cycle properly.

Thanks again for the advice.

i think he'd be worse off kept in the tiny bowl.
he'd be better in the 63ltr and doing daily 50percent changes with dechlorinated water

Yeah I think I will have to go with the fish-in option.
One of our local petshop owners that advised me to do a fishless cycle and that Stan would be ok in his bowl for 4 weeks told me that he advises all his customers to do this.
He then said that they don't heed his advise and just put fish in straight away. He said that they always return to the shop saying that their tank is all gunked up with green algae and that the fish are dying.

Is it just a case of putting Stan in asap, doing 50% daily water changes and then monitoring ammonia, nitrite and nitrates and changing water again as levels get too high?

Also, will a fish-in cycle take longer than a fishless cycle?

If you're in the UK, do not buy the API kits, saliferts are much more accurate and can be bought for the same price online, the saliferts are much better than the API kits, they're more accurate, and more consistent.
sorry to highjack your post just a quick question is the salifert test better than nutrafin and what is the most accurate pH test kit ?

Saliferts are the most accurate in that price band, and they're more accurate than nutrafins, all Ph test kits are of equal accuracy because they use the same reagents.

Saliferts are the most accurate in that price band, and they're more accurate than nutrafins, all Ph test kits are of equal accuracy because they use the same reagents.
ideally im looking for a way to test pH to the nearest point the liquid ones are ok but all i can tell from the readings is that the water is around pH 6.0
would a digital meter be better?

Ok the above information is excellent but i just want to clarify.

Is stan long bodied with a single tail or round bodied with a double tail?

This is very important.

Most reactions

Back