Just Got Back Off My Hols

Ste_J

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Well having just spent a week in Tenerife I had to leave my tank in the hands of my neighbour, all I asked is that he fed the fish and didn't go into the whole fert routine with him.

Just before I left I did a full water change and added NO3 - Trace and Iron and the usual other good stuff, normally adding everything at once would be a bad idea as it tends to cause cloudy water but since I wasn't going to be there I thought balls to it. Just to be on the safe side I also added a fluval 1 to create a bit of water movement in case the CO2 played up.
Also as luck would have it I had a chest infection prior to going away so my Doc gave me some Maracyn which got added in the form of 3 crushed 200mg tabs.

As the week drew to a close I was starting to get worried about what I would return to but imagine my surprise when I got home to this
after_tenerife.JPG

The whole tank had started to fill out nicely and the glass was virtually clear. Think I've lost a couple of shrimp and there had been a platy party again - Just gave a load of em to the LFS before I went with a hope that I could clear the tank of them completely when I returned.

So what I have learnt?

I'm best to leave the tank to its own devices through the week and maybe there is a need to review my fert regime?

Now looking to get some HC to add to fill the spaces with the glosso and some java to cover the wood. Also looking to get rid of the wood on the right but want something to fill the space

On another note I have to say that Tenerife is full of great black sand and some fantastic rocks - I wanted to fetch a load home but since our case was already over weight I had to leave it all behind :(

hehe........the platys were probably stoned out of their mind on the maracyn during the party :D

Tank looks great, just dont end up starving the tank or the algae monster will definatly pay a visit.

hehe........the platys were probably stoned out of their mind on the maracyn during the party :D

Tank looks great, just dont end up starving the tank or the algae monster will definatly pay a visit.

Think your right about the platy as they have started to take on all manner of markings! keep expecting to find a platy/clown mix breed

Strangest thing is that the algea monster was already through the door before I left hence my concerns yet upon my return I found less algae and I had dosed lower levels of ferts. My fern has also started to rid itself of a nasty dose of brown patches. Think the extra current and addition of a side panel (window side) has helped.

haha that was a good one ! The tank is looking good STe_J i think thats just proof that we take care of our tanks too much :p hehehe the tanks can handle temselves a bit

isnt it great when things like that work out? looks nice and healthy. i to have found that leaving things alone might help out some..i havent dosed anything except some micros and things are looking a little better..cool looking loaches..i love those fish..great personalities and not a snail in sight..your tiger lotus looks healthy also, those things grow like mad..i always find myself cutting that thing back as it grows right thru the top.. :thumbs:

It looks great :drool:, what's that tall frilly plant on the left end?

Eusteralis stellata - want to get something to compliment it now and fill in the lower portion and some Ludwigia spec. "Cuba"

Couple of pics from my Hols

neons2.JPG Nice from a distance but the Algae monster had taken its grip when you got close up

silver2.JPG This was great as the tank actually went up by a couple of floors with the top middle and bottom layers swimming in differing directions.

cleaning2.JPG The only way to clean :)

Decided to leave the tank to it's own devices for a while to see how it grows - obviously testing mid week to ensure that levels are not too low and maybe a little trace through the week. Tap nitrates are 25ppm + with PO4 being equally as high.

Regarding last photo...that's an interesting cleaner fish. What species is that, pray tell? :rofl:

Those schools of fish look wiiiild!!!

The cleaner fish is a lesser spotted neoprene fish which has long runners that go off to the surface

The fish in that tank were amazing as there were so many all swimming round so fast. I could have spent all day looking at that tank and got more amazed each time I went down another floor.

Most reactions

Back