Just Did My First Api Ammonia Test

Royster

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Ok so my wife picked up my kit today from the shop and I get in from work go do a test, results show I've .25ppm in my sample.

I know ammonia is meant to be an nil so what's my best course of action now, I was going to do a 15% water change on Sunday/Monday but should I do it now or will that not help any?

I was hoping I wouldn't find any but I only seem to have poor luck of late

have you tested your water straight from the tap? it may contain a trace of ammonia.

It's showing a trace as well, but maybe not as much?

Am I just being over cautious?

What's the pH in your tank?

Don't know the Ph as I haven't got that kit yet and the tank has been on the go for a week, found the forum after I'd set up everything, you live and learn don't you!!

Don't know the Ph as I haven't got that kit yet and the tank has been on the go for a week, found the forum after I'd set up everything, you live and learn don't you!!

You certainly do.

If it's been setup for a week your filter will be no means matured.

You need to be doing a fish-in cycle like I'm doing.

Pop over to the "Your new freshwater tank" part of the forum, and have a read of the stickys.

Cheers for the advice, most of the posts I read have the owners doing 50% water changes so I'll do that tonight and retest tomorrow, I only ask as I don't want to freak out and think worst case senario at the first sight of something looking just a little odd.

50% every other day should keep it real low as long as you're not heavily stocked at the moment - how big is the tank?

It's only a 60l tank, I'll get sucking on a bit of garden hose then....

Save your energy if your only at .25ppm.

Pretty soon when it goes to 0.5, 1.0, 2.0, etc
you will be doing plenty of water changes.

And do not vacuum the gravel just skim over it.

You should never let it pass 0.25, if its at or over 0.25, do a 50% water change. You need to keep your fish healthy.

Yep agreed so I changed the water, once my wee fella goes to bed I'll test the water again.

Most reactions

Back