Just Curious About The Description Of This Forum?

I don't really have much of a problem with hybrids in the aqaurium hobby. They can be interesting pets. Basically, if they can survive in an aquarium - so be it.

I wonder however, how many people who purchase them realize what they are. If you purchase a BP for example, knowing what it is, fine. But I suspect that many don't. That's the rub IMO.

For myself, I prefer natural strains/species/whatever, that are able to live in an aquarium. I enjoy researching their natural environment and do my best to replicate that in my home. My children enjoy the hobby with me and it's a great opportunity to teach them about the Amazon, the Rift Lakes in Africa and other places. They are learning about chemistry, physics and biology, and so am I. Is it really a natural environment? Of course not.

It's personal preference and I prefer to shun hybrids. It just goes against the grain for me.

anyway I want to know how screwed up BP's are, some people say they are fine, whilst others believe they are wrong
Well,it all depends on where you get them from.I go to around 6 different fish shops around my area every 3 months,some bp's look disgusting,in poor condition,while others look more healthy.Either way you see it a parrot cichlid is not natural & should not have been created,to me there is no argument sayign that we needed a fish looking like a parrot,who can have swim bladder problems,problems eating and a number of other things.But most bp's now are becoming a proper breed of fish(IMO),and the ones bread in thialand (or somewhere i can't remeber) are really healthy.Check out these sites-http://www.parrotcichlid.com/index.phphttp://parrotcichlid.com/book/index.php/Main_Page

I don't really have much of a problem with hybrids in the aqaurium hobby. They can be interesting pets. Basically, if they can survive in an aquarium - so be it.
Many hybrids can survive,but then as they get older there organs can be deformed,resulting in death.I can't remeber where i got this information form but i read an article somewhere..

I wonder however, how many people who purchase them realize what they are. If you purchase a BP for example, knowing what it is, fine. But I suspect that many don't. That's the rub IMO.
Before i got my first to parrot fish i was lucky enough to be looking up a site about them first,and then i saw them in a shop and new they were a hybrid.But i still bought two!

It's personal preference and I prefer to shun hybrids. It just goes against the grain for me.
:good:
Sorry if i start a flaming war but,o well :blink:

I don't really see any problem with hybrid fish. I personally think a lot of them are cute. Blood Parrots in particular. Oh and in the words of Rodney King "Can't we all just get along?"

PETA is all you had to say lol I love animals just as much as the next animal lover but PETA people and others like them are insane. :crazy: Thanx for the reply:)

Well, the woman in your avatar is a "PETA person" - http://www.peta.org.uk/feat/feat-shirleymansonad.asp - and fair play to her IMHO! :)

My personal take on hybrids is that the only time I really don't like to see them is on the occasion that they have physical deformities which make their lives harder to live. If however they are healthy fish then there's little wrong with that, as long as they don't get sold on undescribed in the hobby thus risking confusion as to exactly what species people may be purchasing.

What an interesting topic! :good:

Some good info there nmonks, for some reason i had always assumed that hydridized fish of all species would be pretty much sterile.

I understand that this issue can be emotive, but what I really don't understand is when fishkeepers make an ethical distinction between cross-breeding and fishkeeping as a whole. The entire concept of fishkeeping is a man-made construct, the idea of taking a fish from it's natural home, (ancestral or otherwise) and displaying it in a tank (for, lets face it, our pleasure) is entirely alien. Why then, if one was so absorbed with fish welfare that one would bemoan cross-breeding, would anybody keep a fish tank in the first place!? It just seems hypocritical to me...

EDIT = Grammar Correction.

Most reactions

Back