Just born baby koi

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Deeznuts

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Good afternoon,

I’ve kept koi for a few years now, and I’ve never really noticed any newborns, which made me think they were all male koi or any babies that were eaten before I could observe any.

I’ve since introduced a new koi around February and placed a koi spawning brush just incase.

It’s hard to see by the picture here but I’ve circled one just born. There was initially about 50 white round balls about 2mm in diameter.

I don’t want to presume they were all fertile but they’re no longer there.

Does anyone know at what age I could transfer them out into a safer pond away from the koi? Or, do I leave them in there? There’s a lot of plants but I have some huge koi and it’s possible most of them have already been eaten.

Regards

Attachments

• IMG_1886.jpeg
    IMG_1886.jpeg
    183.6 KB · Views: 51
Are these in a pond, or a large aquarium???

I would think, as long as your water parameters were the same, you could move any fry you found, to a rearing tank, to make sure they aren’t predated…

Koi normally take 3 or 4 years to become sexually mature so if you started with little Koi, they might not be sexually mature yet.

There is a fertile egg in the mop to the right of the fry. I would lift the mop out and put it in a plastic storage container and see how many babies pop up. Feed the babies on green water, infusoria, fry food for egglayers. Scoop the mop up in a bucket of pond water.

The following link has info on culturing food for baby fish. You can buy fry foods (powder and liquid) from pet shops.

Are these in a pond, or a large aquarium???

I would think, as long as your water parameters were the same, you could move any fry you found, to a rearing tank, to make sure they aren’t predated…

The fry are in a 2.5m wide x 2.2m length x 1.5m depth pond.

I do have a small cold water established white minnow tank indoors.

All the water parameters are the same throughout the pond and tanks.

At what age do you think would be best providing I can find them again? Lol

Like @Colin_T suggested, you could remove the eggs, pretty much as soon as they are fertilized…

Koi normally take 3 or 4 years to become sexually mature so if you started with little Koi, they might not be sexually mature yet.

There is a fertile egg in the mop to the right of the fry. I would lift the mop out and put it in a plastic storage container and see how many babies pop up. Feed the babies on green water, infusoria, fry food for egglayers. Scoop the mop up in a bucket of pond water.

The following link has info on culturing food for baby fish. You can buy fry foods (powder and liquid) from pet shops.

Apologise, I didn’t notice your message. I hadn’t even notice the egg you just mentioned. I shall go do so now. Thank you

Hello D. I've kept Koi with my Goldfish in an outdoor 300 gallon trough for more than a year and I just let nature take its course. I've had a few Goldfish fry this Spring and the speedy ones will survive. I imagine it's the same with the Koi. I have four large Koi and quite a few Goldfish. I don't want too many fry surviving, because there really isn't room. But, I just change out a lot of water every week and let nature decide how many I should have. If you want some fry to survive, just feed a little more and more often. Well fed adult fish aren't as likely to see the fry as lunch.

Hello D. I've kept Koi with my Goldfish in an outdoor 300 gallon trough for more than a year and I just let nature take its course. I've had a few Goldfish fry this Spring and the speedy ones will survive. I imagine it's the same with the Koi. I have four large Koi and quite a few Goldfish. I don't want too many fry surviving, because there really isn't room. But, I just change out a lot of water every week and let nature decide how many I should have. If you want some fry to survive, just feed a little more and more often. Well fed adult fish aren't as likely to see the fry as lunch.

Yeah, I did consider that to be honest. I’ve just looked today and it looks as if the majority of the eggs have already hatched.

I’ll just wait until they’re a little maturer and if they do look healthy I’ll scoop them up but it shall be a game of survival of the fittest. Moreover, I don’t know anything about koi breeding, so I don’t think they’ll be worth anything either.

Hello again. Koi can be pricey around here. I have an unusual one. It's bright yellow with black markings. Not one that I've seen in the past at pond supply stores in my area. I also have one that's bright orange, one that's orange with white markings and one orange with black markings. They're roughly 12 inches long or about 30 centimeters for those of you in the UK.

I've kept and bred koi ever since mid 1980's up till 2005. When a koi is born, it will be at larvae stage and looks like a needle. If you see the head that clear as the one in your picture, it must be already older. Newborn fry till an age of 1,5-2 weeks will still shelter before swimming freely. Unless, they were already born in a seprate tank, they'll swim already freely at 1 week. At least, that's my experience with breeding koi.

Hello again. Koi can be pricey around here. I have an unusual one. It's bright yellow with black markings. Not one that I've seen in the past at pond supply stores in my area. I also have one that's bright orange, one that's orange with white markings and one orange with black markings. They're roughly 12 inches long or about 30 centimeters for those of you in the UK.

Hey, I’m from the U.K. your koi sounds beautiful. I buy koi young and grow them up, so they’re more affordable. I started with the standard ghost koi for £10 and then invested in the Japanese breed Hi Utsuri about 10inch long and paid £30 for it. Obviously, the more premium can get extremely expensive. I’ll save that for my own home lol.

My current koi pond is at my mums place. She loves to chill beside the pond in a nook I built for her and she sits with her coffee talking to them lol

I've kept and bred koi ever since mid 1978's up till 2005. When a koi is born, it will be at larvae stage and looks like a needle. If you see the head that clear as the one in your picture, it must be already older. Newborn fry till an age of 1,5-2 weeks will still shelter before swimming freely. Unless, they were already born in a seprate tank, they'll swim already freely at 1 week. At least, that's my experience with breeding koi.
I see. So, it’s possible the ones that I saw swimming today near the spawning brush were at least a week old already. I guess a few were fertilised a few days later than the others.

I have noticed a few of the white eggs look like they’re erm, best way to describe is to say look like a dandelion head before you blow it lol.

I assume these ones aren’t fertilised and are maybe decaying?

I see. So, it’s possible the ones that I saw swimming today near the spawning brush were at least a week old already. I guess a few were fertilised a few days later than the others.

I have noticed a few of the white eggs look like they’re erm, best way to describe is to say look like a dandelion head before you blow it lol.

I assume these ones aren’t fertilised and are maybe decaying?
I've just corrected something. I wasn't aware that I wrote down mid 1978's. This should be mid 1980's.
Yes, the one in the picture is at lest a week old. For they really start off as being needles. It only takes a couple of days after fertilizing that the larvae will be born.
When a female koi lays eggs, they'll white translucent. The ones that become very white aren't fertilized. And yes, they'll decay.

Hello again. I tried to get a picture of my Koi, but it's too hazy. But you can see the Koi together and the yellow one in the center of the picture. Maybe, I can get one that's clear.

Attachments

• Koi and Goldfish.jpg
    Koi and Goldfish.jpg
    369.7 KB · Views: 17
Hello again. I tried to get a picture of my Koi, but it's too hazy. But you can see the Koi together and the yellow one in the center of the picture. Maybe, I can get one that's clear.

Ah, I see. Yes, if I am not mistaken. That’s a ghost koi, too. I had one very similar which I bought at the same time as my other grey and white ghost koi but the yellow and black ghost never grew. My grey and white ghost was double its width and length in about 4 months.

The photo here are from a recent video of them feeding. Not the best angle though.

Other photo has my Hi Utusuri

Attachments

• IMG_1902.jpeg
    IMG_1902.jpeg
    285.5 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

Most reactions

Back