Just Aquired Another Tank!

mandi

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Well I just managed to aquire another tank! It's a 20 gallon (long) tank. All I have is the tank, the stand, and an undergravel (but no powerhead to push it).

I have two big questions --

(1) What kind of filter should I get for it?
(2) What would be a fun new type of fish to get? Right now I have platies, otos and bettas and I'd like to try something different (preferably no more livebearers). What would be a fun different type of fish that would be ok in a 20-gallon tank?

I'm pretty much open to all ideas -- the only thing I know for sure is that I'd like to try sand instead of gravel for this tank, and I definately want it to have lots of live plants and driftwood too.

well a pair of kribs would go very nicely in the tank, along with whatever you wish to put in there. I have a pair of kribs that just bred and it's the coolest thing to watch the parents obsess over the littles ones :wub:

kuhli loaches are pretty sweet to have especially if you have that kinda of set up also maybe i recommend some dwarfs puffers that would be fun in a 20 long tank and everything you want is perfect for them all you gotta buy is some snails it would be sweet anyways also you could try to find the coolest fish and most fun to watch at your lfs by examining for a little hope i could help

Hi mandi :)

IMHO, a 20 gallon long is the perfect cory tank. It has a big bottom area which is ideal for them and it has a large enough water capacity to support an nice sized school. They just love sand too.

Since you like bettas, one on the top might be the perfect companion for them. I have found that they provide endless amusement for the betta and since they do not compete for the same part of the tank, they get along great! :thumbs:

Well I just managed to aquire another tank! It's a 20 gallon (long) tank. All I have is the tank, the stand, and an undergravel (but no powerhead to push it).

I have two big questions --

(1) What kind of filter should I get for it?
(2) What would be a fun new type of fish to get? Right now I have platies, otos and bettas and I'd like to try something different (preferably no more livebearers). What would be a fun different type of fish that would be ok in a 20-gallon tank?

I'm pretty much open to all ideas -- the only thing I know for sure is that I'd like to try sand instead of gravel for this tank, and I definately want it to have lots of live plants and driftwood too.

Get your undergravel and throw it out a window. I have a Tetra whisper EX20, an excellent filter(very quiet) on my 20 long, i highly recommend it. Also 20 longs make excellent planted tanks (not very deep so u dont need more then 2 30inch fluorescent bulbs) if you wanted to go the route. Try and stay away from plecos, Angels, discus, and large fish such as the Oscar and JD (your tank is just to small)

Most reactions

Back