Just another breeding convict question…

kevy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
What’s the minimum size a pair could breed in? Nothing else would be in there, and I’d take the fry out after a week or two. Would a 20 high work or would they need something with a little more area on the bottom?

Second, do you guys usually keep a couple other fish in with breeding cons (danios) to keep the male from beating up the female?

Any other advice would be awesome too. :rolleyes:

I've never had a high 20, but I have bred cons in a reg 20g. Not sure the difference in floor size between the 2 tho.

If you haven't bought the tank yet and are asking, I would get a 29g tho. That would be a bit better but a 20g will work.

I would definately keep dithers in there. Not always, but I have had male cons kill females especially after you take the fry out. Don't worry about the dithers eating the eggs. They won't be able to and it gives the breeding cons a better bond because it allows them to have a common "enemy".

There's really nothing to getting them to breed. They always breed and there's nothing special you have to do but put an overturned flowerpot in there and feed them a couple dif kinds of food.

Yea, alright, I'll probaby get a 29 if I can find a good deal.

By the way, a 20H is 24 by 12 inches I think.

Thanks

i have bred convicts in a 20 a few times...I never kept other fish in anad the male never killed the female......but i always made sure the female was smaller than the male....so when the male wanted to take control over the eggs the female didnt fight beause it knew it was smaller.....

Most reactions

Back