Jumping Guppy

bexbeckybex

Reaction score
I have experienced this on two occasions. Once with an open top tank (Fluval Chi) and once with a covered tank (aquanano 40) What is most frustrating is that the guppies didn't just kill themselves but also another tank mate (red cherry shrimp and neon tetra) I can only assume that these victims were caught up in the current of the jumping guppies or something as I have never seen a tetra or shrimp jump out of water. Even more confusing is how they managed to slip through the gap of less than 1cm between tank walls and lid. I know they're small but that seems almost impossible for two fish to fit through! Can anyone explain what happened so I can possibly prevent this happening again? Both incidences happened overnight while I was asleep. Not a nice thing to wake up to! 

Sorry for your losses, OP
sad.png

How long has your tank been set up, is it cycled and have you tested the water at all?

Very often fish will jump to try and escape poor water conditions and that should always be the first thing you look at, especially if it's fish (or shrimp) that aren't known for jumping.

Check water first for sure.

I've never had guppies jumping but I have had them sort of flap/swish at the top of the water.  For me, happens with my females when one sneaks up on another and nips at their tail... the nipped one makes a big flap as it takes off... but they have never jumped out.

It's either they are trying to save themselves by jumping into the nearby lake that doesn't exist :), or the outlet of your filter is somehow catching them in the flow and perhaps sending them into space by accident :)

I had guppies jumping too. I had put them into a bucket whilst replacing the substrate and the 2 males jumped about 3 feet along the floor. My little one just let out a scream and when I came back into the room she said it had jumped-i'm looking around the bucket but didn't see anything because he was half way across the room! I was so squeamish trying to pick him up with the net and he would jump everytime I tried to catch him. Then I witnessed the 2nd one jump. They survived and are in the tank with the lid shut! Guess they didn't like the bucket...

thanks for the posts guys! hmmm I do test the water regularly and its pretty good. I haven't had any suicides since so fingers crossed they'll stay put. Honestly, I try my best to make a nice cushy home for them and they just throw it in my face lol. watch this space....

Most reactions

Back