Journal – Breeding German Blue Rams (Mikrogeophagus Ramirezi)

i have no idea what my water is either... i dont get calcium build up in the kettle..thats one sign int it?

What part of Devon are you in? I might be able to find out
we are in North Devon...but apparently we have soft water !!! Rama dams!!!

Yea the water from wistlandpound is pretty soft, I am half tempted to bring a tank full back next time I visit my mum! lol

Ok quick update. For the past week i have been keeping a good eye the pair of rams feeding them frozen bloodworm twice a day. The female has been pink for the past 4 days.

Just nipped in the garage to feed them and to my surprise they have spawned !!

Funny thing is though, they never spawned in the cave or the flowerpot. They spawned on the outside of the cave pillar :D here is a quick snap.

RamSpawn.jpg

Did not want to spoke them so sorry if the photo is bad.

LP

nice one mate, chuffed for ya, typical of fish to do that really, looks like a nice bunch of eggs :) Hope that other filter is cycling! :D

Sure is the sponge filter has been in the breeding tank for 2 weeks that i plan to use for the fry tank as you suggested. But i also have the media from the fry tanks main filter in the breeding tank so it should be spot on.

Undecided either to remove the fry when they are in the free swimming stage or leave them with the parents for a week or 2. I am swaying towards leaving them in at the moment, well that's if we get that far, fingers crossed.

LP

I think the fact that you now know for sure that they are paired and breeding gives you the opportunity to experiment a little. Would be nice to find out if they are good parents but in the same respect, you could suck up a dozen fry and see how they cope at your own hands.

True, the next week is going to be a learning curve :D

Ill keep the thread posted with any changes.

LP

oh congrats...well chuffed for you! :good:
would a pair fit in my 70L tank? (eventually)

Forgot to tell ya GBR's like to lay on flat smooth surface hence why they did it on the slate not the flower pot. Get a bit slate and pop it into the flower pot they will spawn there more then likely :good:
Out of my 50 fry i have 12 left by leaving them in my next lot are getting pulled soon as a see them :look:

I believe 75 ltr and up is recommended for a fully grown pair.

Forgot to tell ya GBR's like to lay on flat smooth surface hence why they did it on the slate not the flower pot. Get a bit slate and pop it into the flower pot they will spawn there more then likely :good:
Out of my 50 fry i have 12 left by leaving them in my next lot are getting pulled soon as a see them :look:

Thats the funny thing BBA the slate cave is flat on the inside but they still choose the outside pillar :D Either way what they want to do is fine with me.

Also do you leave the normal daily lights on and routine in place when they spwan ?

LP

I leave the tank as is mate, the only thing i do different is turn the filter off for an hour at feeding time

Congratulations! Looking forward to seeing little wrigglers :D

James

I believe 75 ltr and up is recommended for a fully grown pair.

Thats the funny thing BBA the slate cave is flat on the inside but they still choose the outside pillar :D Either way what they want to do is fine with me.

Also do you leave the normal daily lights on and routine in place when they spwan ?

LP

:(

Congratulations! Looking forward to seeing little wrigglers :D

James

Your not the only one :D

When i bought the pair the guy did say that they had successfully spawned before so i am hoping they are past the eating eggs and fry stage.

LP

Most reactions

Back