Joists Question

It will be fine which ever way you want it :) 125's aren't that heavy.

This post is not helping my restraint in not replacing my 60L with the 125L I've been eyeing up.

i think even with a 240l tank i still stand by what i said earlier in the topic

It depends how far your joists span in all honest. Yes, a new house will have good wood and should have anti twist blocks between then but a heavy tank in the middle of the floor could cause problems in the long run, most houses i can think of have a bath very close to a supporting wall and their weight is spread over 6 or more feet of flooring with the addition of two 2x4 lumps of wood that support the feet of the bath instead of going straight onto the chip board (stops the chipboard rotting and the bath feet falling through). My advice is, just go easy and if you can, pull up the floor and check if you have any double joists bolted together as that will provide a better place to put it. (this is for the OP planning on the 240L, with a 90-125 litre, i wouldnt worry all that much.)

Look at it this way, 125 litres is 125 kilos which is is about 19 1/2 stone. Although it's not QUITE the same, I'm sure your upstairs floor could handle a fat bloke standing on it, otherwise the construction of your house is REALLY shoddy :p

thats exactl what i was trying to say with the bath thing lou haha

Look at it this way, 125 litres is 125 kilos which is is about 19 1/2 stone. Although it's not QUITE the same, I'm sure your upstairs floor could handle a fat bloke standing on it, otherwise the construction of your house is REALLY shoddy :p

Or a fat woman? Lets not get sexist now? ;)

LOLOL.. yeah but they move, tank doesnt and that's a big difference according to some people.
Might find myself a fat couple to maybe jump around where i plan to put the 240L tank?

Problem i really have is the wall upstairs is 'fake' (not brick, just plasterboard really). 240L and bath will be on either side of it although there's a supporting wall directly under the bath so that'd make the tank about 2-3ft away from it.

P.S sorry if i'm hijacking topic but it'll help for people that want to ask about it with bigger tanks, if they use the search.

Even 240l should be fine, once again make sure it is spread across the joist to spread the weight, have a check of the floor boards, what condition are they in and how thick are they, I have 2 tanks upstairs in seperate rooms, a 200 litre that is spread across 3 6x2 joists in the other I have a juwel rio 400, 1 ton of weight across 4 8x2 joists, more weight but spread across more thicker joist, its also had a frame built and is screwed to the wall, it runs against a load baring wall which I would advise anyone with a big tank to do not a room seperator wall as there wont be as much support. The problem which someone said fat bloke (or women) dont continually stand there, fish tanks are continual weight so is applying pressure all the time people in a room or a bath are only short term weight. Make sure you dont have any feet on the bottom of the stand for the tank as all the weight is being applied in just them 4 areas, with out them is much better as the weight will now be spread across the whole base of the stand.

Most reactions

Back