Jewel Rio 180 Lighting Problem...

Steve_R

Reaction score
Hi all, I was wondering if somebody can help me.

I have Jewel Rio 180 tank and have a problem with the lights.

The lights have been working fine until yesterday when (after they had been on for a number of hours) they just turned themselves off.

Now what happens is that when you switch them on, they both come on OK, for about a second, and then they both flicker for about another 3 seconds and then they both turn off.

If I turn off the lights at the switch and wait about 30 seconds and then turn it back on the exact same behaviour occurs.

I'd be grateful for any ideas as to what may be the issue with the lights. They are electronic ballast - which I believe (and I could be wrong) that this means there are no starter motors.

Many many thanks
Steve

Hi all, I was wondering if somebody can help me.

I have Jewel Rio 180 tank and have a problem with the lights.

The lights have been working fine until yesterday when (after they had been on for a number of hours) they just turned themselves off.

Now what happens is that when you switch them on, they both come on OK, for about a second, and then they both flicker for about another 3 seconds and then they both turn off.

If I turn off the lights at the switch and wait about 30 seconds and then turn it back on the exact same behaviour occurs.

I'd be grateful for any ideas as to what may be the issue with the lights. They are electronic ballast - which I believe (and I could be wrong) that this means there are no starter motors.

Many many thanks
Steve

I had the same problem and found that if you have one bulb which is faulty then it will automatically shut off both lights, i had two old bulbs at home and founf when i changed them over the problem was sorted.

Hope that helps.

Justin

Yeah, it's the saftey system associated with the electronic ballast!

One of the tubes is faulty or on it's way out, replace and you should have light again.

Also, although Juwel recommend you totally replace the tube holder rings when changing tubes this is not really necessary.

CW

Ah many thanks Chris and Justin - I was hoping it was one of the tubes rather than the main unit. I will get a new set of tubes.

Thanks for the tip about the rings - this will save some money!

Cheers again.
Steve

Just a note to say that I have changed my tubes now and everything is now fine again.

Many thanks again.

Steve

:good:

This place is so cool for helping you to not make not so obvious mistakes! If you ask the question, you nearly always get an answer. :hey: That saved you about £70 plus P&P!

sub.

:good:

This place is so cool for helping you to not make not so obvious mistakes! If you ask the question, you nearly always get an answer. :hey: That saved you about £70 plus P&P!

sub.

Indeed - these and other Internet forums are wonderful ways to obtain and give help. It's so cool that everyone likes to contribute. :)

Most reactions

Back