Jewel Filters (pumps)

oscar52

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Are they always so noisy? - mine was always vibrating and rattling - noisy when you need to get to sleep.

Anyone know how to silence them?

There not that good i know that, i run two filters in my tank, as i would not just relie on the juwel filter.
When did you last clean it, mine makes a noise for a while sometimes then it stops.

[Buzzing is probably more accurate.

But the lid doesnt really fit securely, just sort of rests on top. I know when it was running before, if i fiddled with the power leads to the pump and heater, i could reduce the buzzing, but my brothers tank is virtually silent. Maybe another filter is the answer, or maybe another pump of some sort (if possible)

Mine did start making a noise once, I took it apart & give it a damm good clean (especially the impeller, shaft & cavity the impeller sits in). Gave it a good flush out then cleaned it again. Put in back together & silence once more (and yes it still worked :) ). Sometimes there is a slight vibration but if I move the top a fraction or move the cables it stops.

Mine did start making a noise once, I took it apart & give it a damm good clean (especially the impeller, shaft & cavity the impeller sits in). Gave it a good flush out then cleaned it again. Put in back together & silence once more (and yes it still worked :) ). Sometimes there is a slight vibration but if I move the top a fraction or move the cables it stops.

moving the cables and the top is usually waht i did ...... but its bloody annoying when its woken you up at 3.30am. - was hoping to find a cure before i rest it all up.

The slight vibration should not make enough noise to wake you but the noise I had from the dirty pump would. Try giving it a good clean if you have not already done so.

Our 3ft tank is a Juwel tank and we've never had a problem with a noisy filter/pump. It's super silent? Maybe we are just lucky?

i have got one i can never tell that it is on

My brothers tank is the same - just a thought though, my brothers pump fitting is quite tight - mine is loose - i thought this may be the problem with the pump rattling / buzzing, but surely the weight of the water should keep it from doing so.

Have another queation now also - after a visit this morning to my lfs.

Can the flow rate on the pump be altered or is it constant? Its a 400 pump if i remember rightly.

Also, how do you take the apart to clean? the bottom is easy enough, just twist off, but what about the pump and the surrounding casing, the look like they split apart, but dont want to damage it trying.

Most reactions

Back