JAWLESS TIGER BARB

Joviella

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Last night i noticed that one of my tiger barbs has the bottom part of his jaw literally hanging off!!! I really don't know what to do for the poor fish.....he swims about ok but is unable to eat........any advice would be welcome. thanks.xx

my first guess would be mouth fungus and if his jaw is not operational he will probably starve over the next few days. It would be best to first remove hime from the tank and second think about euthanization. :-( Sorry but i have never had a fish that recovered after being that damaged. :no:

its not mouth fungus.....it looks as if its been snapped off!!!! was also thinking that he'd be better off in fishy heaven :sad:

Oh that is too sad! :-(

Unfortunately I have to agree though........I don't think there is any chance of survival after an injury that bad.

But as mentioned first see if he can eat.

:) just an update.......his jaw is still sooooooooo wrong but he is eating by sucking the flakes into his mouth......bless. I am gonna keep watching his progress but hes definitely a fighter!!!

GLAD TO HEAR THAT, BUT I DONT THINK HE WILL SURVIVE. I BELEIVE IT IS MOUTH FUNGUS JUST AT A LATE STAGE. I HAVE NOT HAD A SURVIVOR OF THAT YET.....

i have a gourami that has the top part of his mouth missing.
It was bit off by an angel that was protecting her eggs
Hes fine it doesnt seem to bother him at all.

:) hes still hangin in there. even managed to suck on a live bloodworm earlier!!

at work we had this silver shark that had a major disfigurement in his mouth, it was like it was all sealed up apart from a tiny little 'bubble'.....he was put in the quartine tank and i didnt expect him to live past a day....he was still swimming around quite happly 2 weeks later, until he caught very nasty finrot :byebye:

Wouldn't know what to do for the best if it was one of my barbs, but if he seems happy you can only wait and see...... Good luck little buddy :)

Update: My little fella is hangin on in there. He is amazing and I am growing fonder of him by the day(probably not a good thing)....his jaw is still really bad and doesn't look like its healing but he sucks up his food and poos lots so ........I think he's going to live :D

Most reactions

Back