java moss

Oh wait, the latin name of christmas moss is Fontinalis antipyretica... not Vesicularia at all. The moss in the picture must be java moss.

Fun uses for christmas moss here if you're interested.

sinistral said:
yhbae said:
BUT I still haven't figured out how to make it look nice - all of mine looks like a big messy ball of green sponge balls. Small fishes really like them, but I don't like the look of them!  ;) Java ferns are far better looking, IMO.
Check out what this person did. The vesicularia is the neatly trimmed, delicate group in the center. I'm not sure if there are different species of vesicularia that are different from the regular java moss, but whatever this person did, it looks beautiful imo.
That is beautiful ,looks like a small tank [ 10 gs ] , but I'm sure it would take a constant effort to keep it looking that way . pruning and thinning the cultures .

:hyper: Far to much work for a lazy aquarist like me :lol:

I keep it mostly for my fry to graze on , they don't eat the plant just whatever [ micro bugs I'll call them for lack of a better term ] lives on them .

But given how fast java moss grows, how long will it keep that look? ;) Its kinda like your own hair (for men at least) - looks good when it is neatly trimmed, but if you don't cut it for 6 months, well..... I won't comment... :lol:

One thing I noticed, in one of the grow up tank where the light is pretty dim (even by my standard), one of the java moss bunch started growing in a weird way - they don't branch much! It looks like lots of thin strands growing mostly upwards! It almost gives you the feeling of some sea weed. May be I can make use of that effect somewhere in my other tanks.... ;)

I concur with the comments about the upkeep that must be involved to have the moss look like it does. In fact, the maintenance for that whole tank-- and the other tanks like it-- has to be quite meticulous and involved. Takes a lot of work to create such beauty :)

Most reactions

Back