metfan581

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I have a 55 with less that 1 wpg
is it possible for any plants or do i really need to up the lightin
i rather not

wahts ur opinion?

it's possible for java moss but not for many other plant species

I have a 55 gallon tank with less than 1WPG. I changed the standard issue bulb to a Life Glo which is 40 watts -- still less than 1WPG but it's much brighter than before.

I have the following plants in this tank:

swords
vallis
anubias
java fern

None of the plants grow very fast but they are healthy. The anubias have flowered several times. I use root tabs for the vallis and the swords.

Here's a pic (before I added the swords):

c23ae9e8.jpg

If you're not looking into a high tech planted tank, like squirrelbuddies said, you don't need too much lighting. I have .6wpg and I can grow java moss, amazon sword, and water sprite. You won't see extremely fast growth, but it will definately be noticable. My amazon swords new leaves grow about an inch to an inch and a half every day.

Isaac

thanks all

i want to go extremely low tec

so i dont have to change the lighting

yea the light is realllly low
but its worth a try with java moss right?

i really like wisteria
is there a chance or no

I'd say java moss will survive, but there are cases where it just turns brown and dies. Try it, there's a really good chance it'll thrive and grow.

hornwort too, it will grow very fast in no light, not the very hard hornwort that you can't bend but the soft-ish stuff. i have a 30 gal and all the light it has is the windows on the door and it grows perfect and healthy so i assume if there is some light it will do fine

Most reactions

Back