Java Moss Query

DJackson

Reaction score
Hi guys,

My first tank is still cycling and it's doing well. I currently have 4 Vallis, two broad leaf plants of which I'm unsure of the name, and two sand dune grass like plants.

Today, I got some java moss. I was only expecting a small amount to get started, with the hope to buy some more once the first batch has established.

However, I received significantly more than expected (approxs 90g more than expected) so I have too much to be able to utilise at this time.
I don't yet have the right stones/slate to tie any to that would be appropriate. (well, I had one which is the trial).

How do I go about Keeping it alive outside of the tank while I wait for the right substrate to tie it to?

Also, when I put the first lot in my tank today it made quite the mess! The moss is in extremely small pieces. These were tied down ok, the issue was with the particulate debris. Lots of it. It's settled down now and the fish seem happy anyway.

Is there a trick to java moss?

Many thanks guys

I have kept it in a lunch box before now for a couple of weeks on the window sill just changing the water every few days. I have never had a problem with it. Just give it a good wash before you put it in the tank :good:

Do I leave the lid open? Silly question probably but if I don't ask I'll never know..

X

Thanks :) checked this morning and the browning from being posted has resolved and it seems very healthy.

Hi guys,

My first tank is still cycling and it's doing well. I currently have 4 Vallis, two broad leaf plants of which I'm unsure of the name, and two sand dune grass like plants.

Today, I got some java moss. I was only expecting a small amount to get started, with the hope to buy some more once the first batch has established.

However, I received significantly more than expected (approxs 90g more than expected) so I have too much to be able to utilise at this time.
I don't yet have the right stones/slate to tie any to that would be appropriate. (well, I had one which is the trial).

How do I go about Keeping it alive outside of the tank while I wait for the right substrate to tie it to?

Also, when I put the first lot in my tank today it made quite the mess! The moss is in extremely small pieces. These were tied down ok, the issue was with the particulate debris. Lots of it. It's settled down now and the fish seem happy anyway.

Many thanks guys

Ha ha I wouldn't worry about it dying! You'd need a ton of weedkiller to kill this stuff! I took some out of my tank because i had too much. I left it on a plate on a shelf with no water and forgot all about it. 2 months later I found it and it was still green and very much alive!

Hi guys,

Many thanks guys

Ha ha I wouldn't worry about it dying! You'd need a ton of weedkiller to kill this stuff! I took some out of my tank because i had too much. I left it on a plate on a shelf with no water and forgot all about it. 2 months later I found it and it was still green and very much alive!

sorry to hijack this question,& it may be a daft question, but will Java Moss grow over a sand substrate? I intended to put some on my driftwood & do not mind it covering it all, or spreading to other pieces of wood/rock etc, but I'd need the sand to still be exposed as some of my fish sift through it to feed.
cheers guys.
Dougie

Most reactions

Back