Java Fern Question

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Good stuff.

I have a nano tank going through fishless cycle at the moment so want to glue some java fern to a small piece of bogwood that I have.

Using the super glue type as a bit cheaper than the gel and just for one plant on bogwood.

Sorry for jumping into your thread here, pnyf, hope you don't mind. And maybe you learned from this as well 
smile.png

Huh, I had no Idea superglue was safe in the aquarium...

Well, I'm glad I found out before wasting my moey using aquarium-safe silicone to make a stable rock/wood pile.

Jeremy180 said:

Well, I'm glad I found out before wasting my moey using aquarium-safe silicone to make a stable rock/wood pile.

+1 exactly why I was interested in this thread and jumped on the chance to find out more! 

Jeremy180 said:

I've never tried using superglue on wood/rocks but I would use aquarium putty for hefty jobs like that.  http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/dd-aquascape-aquarium-putty-4oz-pack-p-3410.html
I've just ordered my 3rd box of this stuff
smile.png

I have also used silicone for making modifications to the hood lights as I didn't trust superglue to be strong enough for the job.  I only use superglue for plants.

Edit:  apologies Jeremy, you're in the US so that link is no good to you.  Try searching for aquarium epoxy.

Yea, the problem with super glue is its rigidity when dried.  Using it to glue 2 rocks together is going to surely hold, but any movements or jarring in any way risks simply cracking the glue and the rocks separating.  I guess that is why silicone is used on a lot of things still, has more give and binds thing like rock together much better, although when working with plants we don't need that give, and it is much easier to have a glue that bonds almost instantly than one that takes 24 hours.

I have some Java moss in the mail. I'm going to have to give this a try.

I gave the SuperGlue a try and I liked it - looks better than little black threads. :)

Most reactions

Back