Java Fern leaflets

Cherrys

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
When should I take the leaflets off the mother plant? From what I have been reading it would take a long time for them to simply fall off.

Do I need to wait until a small rhizome appears before removing and replanting? Would they be fine once they have a few leaves? I have several mother plants similar to the one in the picture below, any guidance on how and when to snip and replant the leaflets would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20201214_153635.jpg
    20201214_153635.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 20201214_153620.jpg
    20201214_153620.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 44
I would just take a section of the leaf and leave the little guys on it. Then attach that to your piece of wood or what ever.

I would just take a section of the leaf and leave the little guys on it. Then attach that to your piece of wood or what ever.
I'm assuming the leaf would melt as the leaflet took root? It was my understanding that the leaf would be fine after I took the leaflets off. I was planning on keeping the mother plant as I don't have many at the moment. I'm very new to live plants, but thought this was a slow growing one which makes me hesitant to cut up all the big ones right away. Maybe I'll just do half the way you suggested and see how it goes.

Leave the baby plant until it is at least 2 inches long, then it should come away from the plant leaf without any issues.

Most reactions

Back