Java Fern Lace Sp.

Murray

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
What do I do with this plant i get bonus, i would like to keep it alive. I have gravel in my tank and its 10 gallon with an aqua clear 20. 14 watts light. the sender of my java moss is including it for free.

ok calm down no biggie, this plant should be attached to a rock or a wood this is a low light plant, so it just as low as java moss

easiest plant next to java moss

I bought a java fern recently, I used a plain rubberband to attach it to some bogwood. My father used to use a bit of fishing rod line.

I don't think you can put it into the gravel, could be wrong though

Yeh it will attach to gravel, not the best way of making it look nice though.

the thing with rhiozome plants (of which java fern is one) is to keep the rhiozome above the gravel. you will notice beneath the leaves there is a thick horizontal stem with smaller roots growing vertically down from it. the thick horizontal stem is the rhiozome. the ideal way is to attach to rock or wood with cotton thread, fishing line or rubber bands as already mentioned. if you must plant in the gravel only bury the bit under the rhiozome so it sits on the surface. this will be hard as the small roots will not hold very well in the substrate. if the rhiozome is buried it will rot and the plant will die.

ps. sorry if i've spelt rhiozome wrong. anubias are another commom member of this group of plants for future reference.

hmmmm, well it seems like my best bet would be to put it in the gravel till i get a chance to get a bit of wood or some rocks and tie it down. Thanks for the help guys.

Most reactions

Back