Jarring

nashnut

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
:crazy: Okay, what's the secret for telling the males from the females. I thought the fins would be it, but they have all seemed to have grown about the same length. They all flare at each other, etc....

I have noticed the bars a female shows when she's ready for breeding on a couple of them.

Attachments

• 7_weeks.jpg
    7_weeks.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 34
At that age, there aren't very sure ways to tell. Your best bet is to watch the tank and jar the aggressive ones. If you notice any flaring or nipping, jar the offender.

The horizontal bars just mean they're going to be darker colored. For instance, they won't be white or Cambodian, but they may be blue, red, green, etc.

Ah, vertical bars. Yes, I've seen that on mine, too. Those are just a sign of aggression. I've often noticed it in fry right before or after they've flared, and right before or after they've tried to spar with their sibling.

You might want to jar anybody showing vertical bars. They're often your aggressive ones, regardless of what gender they may turn out to be.

Not had anything to do with Betta fry, but they are gorgeously coloured lil' fishies. Is that a metallic kind of thing going on? :drool:

:unsure: That color seems to be showing up on one or two of them. Lord knows the background of these guys when you buy them in the stores. It sure surprised me. Most are red but there's a couple of really pretty gold ones running around. I think they'll go red too but right now they are really pretty. I love the little spikes on the tails. I can't wait for them to grow more.

Beautiful mixture of colours in there :wub:

That fat little belly is too cute :*

Trying to distinguish between male and females I found really hard as my guys were really light and it was very hard to see an egg spot. I did however notice after a while that the females had more rounder bellies than the males. Hope you work them out :)

:( I was trying to figure out just where to check for the egg spot.

I moved a bunch over to one grow out tank thinking they were females but they all slimmed down on me and now I think most of them are males.

Just take a look at your adult female, it should be in the same place :)

I was so rubbish are sorting mine out, but got there in the end. The males fins are longer if you looks and also they are slimmer and the females more rounder like I said previously.

Good luck :D

nashnut said:
:unsure: This is from the runt tank. A hodge podge. I will be moving a few from here to another grow out area today.
I am in love with the one that looks like it has a pink(?) tail, and other fins are light blue. :drool: You have to more pics of that one as he/she grows. If you are selling, and it looks like that when it is bigger, I call dibs LOL :hey:

Most reactions

Back