Is This The Ich?

My(2)Cents

Reaction score
I have never seen this befor but my 2 mollies died today please let me know if this is the ich!

Attachments

• phpYrpAnJPM.jpg
    phpYrpAnJPM.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 52
Doesn't look like ich to me O:
I had 7 of my tiger barbs died of ich.
It looks like it had sand stuck on it's skin

I don't see any white spots at all on these fish. Can you tell us everything about what happened? What size tank, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings, tank mates, water temp, how long the tank's been set up?

My 20 gal tank's been up and running for about a year and was fine until a couple of weeks ago.

I had a big boom of algae form in the tank and had a hard time controlling it. I finally got rid of the dang stuff and found that my filter was so clogged it was hardly working.

I didn't do any research and just replaced the filter per the instructions on the replacement filter box.

Now ever since then I have had fish deaths every couple of days even though my water stats seem to be good and I have been doing water changes about every 3 days.

Just tested the water and the only thing that is weird is that my Alkalinity is high but my pH, Nitrate, Nitrite and Ammonia are fine. This morning the ammonia was a little high but just a little, I did a water change and its back down.

I'm about at my wits end!

Never said it was!

I was just wondering because ive had the deaths and saw the white stuff on the gill area of the dead mollies.

My 20 gal tank's been up and running for about a year and was fine until a couple of weeks ago.

I had a big boom of algae form in the tank and had a hard time controlling it. I finally got rid of the dang stuff and found that my filter was so clogged it was hardly working.

I didn't do any research and just replaced the filter per the instructions on the replacement filter box.

Now ever since then I have had fish deaths every couple of days even though my water stats seem to be good and I have been doing water changes about every 3 days.

Just tested the water and the only thing that is weird is that my Alkalinity is high but my pH, Nitrate, Nitrite and Ammonia are fine. This morning the ammonia was a little high but just a little, I did a water change and its back down.

I'm about at my wits end!

I just re-read this, and now I think you're going through a mini-cycle because you completely changed out the filter. I think you actually replaced the filter media, but the result is that you removed all the beneficial bacteria that had been removing ammonia and nitrite. What's a "little high" for ammonia? Anything above 0 is high and toxic to fish. What are your stats now?

^ What This Old Spouse said :nod: , sounds like water quality problems are killing off your fish. Ammonia & nitrites should be 0 at all times, nitrates between 1-40. Ammonia or nitrite levels above 0 or absense of nitrates means the tank is cycling.

Most reactions

Back