Is this Swim Bladder??

Dek1

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Water conditions all good,

Is this swim bladder or something else it's a male guppy.

What do I do??
20220723_101822.jpg

Need a video of the fish moving and when it stops swimming?

What does its poop look like?
Is it eating normally?
How long has it been fat for?

Need a video of the fish moving and when it stops swimming?

What does its poop look like?
Is it eating normally?
How long has it been fat for?
To be honest it's not moving that much, I was away for a few days and the wife was feeding them 2 daily but I've been back since yesterday night and it hasn't eaten for me. They get feed a mix of tropical flakes and guppy food. Can't see much poop around but I did a tank and gravel clean on Wed morning. He has lost a part of his tail fin think that's down to the harlequins or black tetras.

I'm not sure if it was weird wording that I misread but I first want to say the swim bladder is actually an organ that can become diseased, like a liver or kidney, not a disease itself. When a fish's swim bladder gets all blown up like that, it messes with their ability to float and swim, so fish will usually swim weird or pick a spot in the tank and stay there. After looking at other pictures of guppies with swim bladder issues, your fish's bloating is in the same spot, so it's likely. If he's not been eating or pooping, there's a good chance your fish is just constipated and that blockage caused the swim bladder to swell. Guppies are prone to digestive issues because they eat so much, so fast, and at the surface. Twice a day is technically okay to be feeding your fish, as long as they finish their food at each feeding and it doesn't sink to the bottom and break down in your tank, but it's probably a better idea to cut it down to once a day to avoid potential feeding time complications like this. For the next 2-3 days, don't feed your fish, to give them a chance for all the food in their systems to get cycled out. For this fish, assuming we're treating constipation, you wanna give it fiber. Guppies are omnivores and can eat plants, so you can try *boiling one (1) pea for 30 seconds* to make it softer, then *carefully remove the entire skin.* Both are necessary steps. If the other fish will eat the pea before your problem fish does, take a clean, soap-free container and fill it with a little tank water, separate your fish to feed it, then a few minutes after eating place the fish back in the tank and throw out any remaining food. Observe for a day and see if anything is passed. If not, you can try that another time or two. If fasting and blanched, peeled peas don't work, you can separate your fish and add pure Epsom salt at a rate of 1/8tsp (teaspoon, not tablespoon) per 5 gallons, but always follow instructions if they come with the product. First get a water sample and dissolve the Epsom salt in it, then pour the treated water into the quarantine tank holding the guppy. Don't pour the Epsom salt directly into the water, and don't put the salt into the main tank. Your fish isn't in immediate danger and will probably be okay.

I'm not sure if it was weird wording that I misread but I first want to say the swim bladder is actually an organ that can become diseased, like a liver or kidney, not a disease itself. When a fish's swim bladder gets all blown up like that, it messes with their ability to float and swim, so fish will usually swim weird or pick a spot in the tank and stay there. After looking at other pictures of guppies with swim bladder issues, your fish's bloating is in the same spot, so it's likely. If he's not been eating or pooping, there's a good chance your fish is just constipated and that blockage caused the swim bladder to swell. Guppies are prone to digestive issues because they eat so much, so fast, and at the surface. Twice a day is technically okay to be feeding your fish, as long as they finish their food at each feeding and it doesn't sink to the bottom and break down in your tank, but it's probably a better idea to cut it down to once a day to avoid potential feeding time complications like this. For the next 2-3 days, don't feed your fish, to give them a chance for all the food in their systems to get cycled out. For this fish, assuming we're treating constipation, you wanna give it fiber. Guppies are omnivores and can eat plants, so you can try *boiling one (1) pea for 30 seconds* to make it softer, then *carefully remove the entire skin.* Both are necessary steps. If the other fish will eat the pea before your problem fish does, take a clean, soap-free container and fill it with a little tank water, separate your fish to feed it, then a few minutes after eating place the fish back in the tank and throw out any remaining food. Observe for a day and see if anything is passed. If not, you can try that another time or two. If fasting and blanched, peeled peas don't work, you can separate your fish and add pure Epsom salt at a rate of 1/8tsp (teaspoon, not tablespoon) per 5 gallons, but always follow instructions if they come with the product. First get a water sample and dissolve the Epsom salt in it, then pour the treated water into the quarantine tank holding the guppy. Don't pour the Epsom salt directly into the water, and don't put the salt into the main tank. Your fish isn't in immediate danger and will probably be okay.
Thanks

Most reactions

Back