Is This Real

It's done by adding a florescent protein gene from a jellyfish into the DNA of the fish, this is done when it's an embryo so isn't like dying a fish. The technique is used in genetic research to find and in the past few years companies have started selling the fish to hobbyists. Now they just breed the fish with the gene in to get more of them.

So no it's not "natural" but it doesn't harm the fish.

It's messed up, but now that it's done I think it's pretty cool and interesting. The fish behave the same and are in no way inhibited or harmed by the changes.

Much better IMO than say, fancy goldfish which cant swim properly and have massive bulging eyes and two tails.

is it done the same way they do it to blood parrot fish?

is it done the same way they do it to blood parrot fish?

No it's totaly different.

Parrots are a cross breed of fish to devlop the body and the colours other then a white, pink and black are injected (or possibly acid dipped) to add the colour, which fades over time.

These fish from aZoo (uZoo) are genetically modified meaning when breeding they keep the gene's of the added DNA.
Strange fish and not my thing, but would have some if i could find them, but banned in the UK.

Right, the entire genome of the zebra danio is now mapped, and those have been made to glow. Zebra danios are actually quite important to cancer research because of this.

They are sold in the United States as Glofish. It is unnatural but does not harm the fish. I think they are sterilized and can't breed, though I am not 100% on this.

This fish are being used for a few different studies. They are very real.

"GloFish® fluorescent fish are beautiful and unique fish that were originally bred to help detect environmental pollutants. It was only recently that scientists realized the public's interest in sharing the benefits of this research. "

All you want to know about these fish you can find here.
http://www.glofish.com/science.asp

There's text at the bottom of the video. It explains some stuff.

Apparently the fish are sterile and unable to reproduce.

Most reactions

Back