is this ok for my java fern?

JDH

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I sort of wedged the bottom of my java ferns between 2 rocks. They're secure, but not tied to the rock like it's suggested. Is this ok for them?

I can post a picture if you want. :)

JDH said:
I sort of wedged the bottom of my java ferns between 2 rocks. They're secure, but not tied to the rock like it's suggested. Is this ok for them?

I can post a picture if you want. :)
As long as they don't move, it should be ok. Their fine roots will find objects near by and eventually cling on to them... Once secured, they will start to grow nicely...

Heck, even the free floating ones are growing pretty well! :lol:

Thanks for the help. :D They don't move, but i'll keep an eye on them just incase.

They should be fine. I grow mine in a similar way, i never tie them down, i just tuck the baby ones into crevices in the driftwood or rocks. And beleive it or not, i even have one clump that rooted very strongly into the fluorite substrate. That's handy, i can just pick the whole clump up, a softball size hunk of fluorite comes along, and set it down where ever i have a hole to fill. :)

Just make sure the rocks placement do not accidentely damage any part of the plant though, especially when you move your hands around for tank maintenance.

Personally, I look for flat pieces of stones and tie them up using elastic bands. This way, it is super easy to move them around within the tank or across other tanks and stones usually hide quite well, especially if the tank has some substrates.... Very easy to maintain! ;)

Most reactions

Back