Is This Normal?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

DiddleBug

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have some adult guppies in my 10 gallon tank and have been selective breeding them. I don't have much space so I just keep a few fry from each batch. Thing is, I have probably 60 fry (some a week old, some not a day old yet) I left in the tank because I didn't want them and they are swimming around like they have nothing to be afraid of. Which is true, because the adults ignore them completeley. Is this normal? Aren't they supposed to be eaten? :p

DiddleBug said:
I have some adult guppies in my 10 gallon tank and have been selective breeding them. I don't have much space so I just keep a few fry from each batch. Thing is, I have probably 60 fry (some a week old, some not a day old yet) I left in the tank because I didn't want them and they are swimming around like they have nothing to be afraid of. Which is true, because the adults ignore them completeley. Is this normal? Aren't they supposed to be eaten?
tongue2.gif
Do you have endlers by any chance?
They are known to not eat their young. Usually the fry are gobbled up,I wouldnt be surprised if you see some disappear,knowing guppies im sure they ought to make a meal of their young.

Actually guppies aren't that 'bad' for eating their fry. It's bigger livebearers, like swordtails and mollies, that are the 'worst' culprits for fry eating.

fluttermoth said:
Actually guppies aren't that 'bad' for eating their fry. It's bigger livebearers, like swordtails and mollies, that are the 'worst' culprits for fry eating.
i disagree, Female guppies at least love eating their fry,from what i've seen.

[SIZE=medium]It depends on the individuals and how well you keep the adults feed after 24 to 48 hours the fry will be strong enough to swim away to escape the adults after a while the adults get used to fry swimming around  and tend to leave them alone. when kept all together you should find more fry survive the next brood/broods.[/SIZE]

fluttermoth said:

I've found guppies to be worse for eating fry than mollies. I used to leave fry with my female mollies(males in a separate tank) and the females wouldn't touch them. One gave birth to 38 and all 38 of them made it to adulthood. My guppies, however, never missed a chance to eat their fry.

I have had my tank for a few years noe. I always let my fry be with guppies (now even a betta) and never had an issue with the adults eating the fry. They just seem to ignore them.

I wonder if you feed the adults more they are less apt to snack on the fry.  i feed my fish bloodworms and flakes, so they usually get 2-3 meals a day.  

I myself leave my fry in the main tank mainly to help cull the amount tbh.

But I've noticed after a few months the numbers had shot up where the fry wasn't being eaten anymore even with 5 large gourami's, aswell with 5+ large mollies and the guppie adults.

I feed my fish every 48 hours and then it's upto nature to take its course

the three adult guppies I have now are the children of the adult guppies I had that have died. And I have probably 6 different generation of fry in with them. I don't bother taking them out. But I have noticed more survive now than in the first few batches.

My guppies must be savage then lol. Mine never leave the fry so when I do have guppies I try to have them in a heavily planted tank so that the fry can hide straight away. I still only manage to raise about 10 from each batch but that doesn't bother me as I don't want to raise 50+ babies from ever batch anyway due to lack of space lol.

I have a few hiding spots... but not a ton. the fry don't hide anyway. :p

Most reactions

Back