Is This Fish Really Worth $500?

smallpond

Reaction score
I saw this little guy on aquabid.com and I'm not saying he isn't cute, I love the bars on him, but is he really worth $500? I'm not trying to be scarcastic here, I really want to know. He was under the catagory "wild type" are they rarer than the other types?
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auc...&1178674227
fwbettas1178674227.jpg

Wild types are generally rarer than betta splendens, but they range in price because of the different types. I'm just guessing, but it's probably worth it.

I would not pay $500 dollars for a fish that only lives for a couple years. He is pretty though.

Yes people, but if you get them to breed, picture all those fry and selling them at say... $250 a pair, you would make all that money back. Expensive prices usually mean a more "prestige" buyer is warranted (in most cases).

They are hard to come by and extremely rare on the market from what Ive seen. I say $500 fr a pair could be considered a steal for those heavy into breeding wilds. Well have to wait for a wild breeder to give us more of an insight :good:.

I would not pay $500 dollars for a fish that only lives for a couple years. He is pretty though.

That's because you're thinking of this fish as a pet. The price is high because he ISN'T a pet, but rather an investment as well as an animal that has an important role to play in conservation of a species. The seller isn't seeking to sell to someone who will keep him as a pet, or even to a casual breeder.

if you had the cash, $500 is not a big amount for an investment like that

off topic: dan-25 i love your siggy pic lol

they are going for $51 arent they ????

i cant see where it says $500

maybe as im getting older im going blind i was 26 on saturday :blush:

The auction has either ended or been pulled. ;)

That is a Betta rubra, a living fossil as the seller puts it. This type of wild betta species haven't been for a long while and thought to be extinct. That's why the price is so high. It's definately worth the money for the very experienced breeders, not for pet keepers or the such.

Most reactions

Back