Is This Expensive?

ConnerD

Reaction score
the price in my lfs was £37 a pair, although im a good bit north seems expensive like to hear what they cost in other places?

Let me put it this way, I could buy seven 2" youngsters from my LFS, knowing I had not affected critical wild populations and have £2 change...

A fully grown specimen in my LFS would cost around £15 I think. Whereas smaller fish would be around the £3 mark.

Similar situation with Clown Loaches. 2 inch fish would be around £3 each, but fully grown your looking at £25+

James.

the price in my lfs was £37 a pair, although im a good bit north seems expensive like to hear what they cost in other places?

A bit steep I think. They seem to be coming down a bit in price now. A few months ago they were averaging about £12 each for small ones. Now I've seen them for a little as £7. Every LFS in Manchester seems to have tank fulls of these now whereas when I was considering them last year I could barely find them.

My LFS had them for £10 each or 3 for £26.
Mind you they were a bit smaller than usual.
I have seen about 10cm specimens at another branch of the same chain go for £18 each.

The only place I've seen them was for £10 each. They were about 2.h-3 inches if memory serves.

One of my LFS sell them at 3-4" for £20 each but another at the same size for £7.50 so it varies alot.

Worst price I've seen was in Titchfield, in the fish shop inside the Garsons garden centre...

£30 for a single 2" specimen!!!!
blink.gif

That is expensive, in my area, a lot of the Barbs are 3" and they are £10 each

£30 a pair here in surrey. but thats what you get living down south. everything costs more.

Hi All,

I am down to one, after starting out with 3 of these.
A bit expensive to start replacing them. Will the 1 on its own be ok?
Will it start nipping fins?

Thanks
Squidward

£30 a pair here in surrey. but thats what you get living down south. everything costs more.

I second this statement. I've seen local prices hike quite dramatically over the past 12 months. Not sure if it a regional issue or if they is a possible shortage of stock....

Hi All,

Thanks
Squidward
It will definatly be OK on its own, it wont die, but it will be much more shy and will probably start fin nipping unless you have a peaceful one. If all your other barbs have died, its probably an indication something is wrong, so I would get that sorted, then I'd be 4 more torpedo Barbs

Hi All,

Thanks
Squidward
It will definatly be OK on its own, it wont die, but it will be much more shy and will probably start fin nipping unless you have a peaceful one. If all your other barbs have died, its probably an indication something is wrong, so I would get that sorted, then I'd be 4 more torpedo Barbs

Carlove1,

I got a group of 3 from my LFS.
When I bought them, the person (manager of a large chain, so I guess he knows his stuff?) told me that torpedos are very senstive when it comes to introducing to an aquarium. Told me to float bag for longer and slowly drip existing tank water into the bag, which is what I did.
Released the fish and within an hour, 1 was dead, and within 24 hours, a 2nd one.
Went back to LFS, they tested my water (I do too btw) and it wasn't a water issue, so they gave me a credit.

But this does leave me with the 1 barb. If they are that finicky, I am reluctant to get more. So am happy to gave just the one....as long as it behaves.

Most reactions

Back