Is This Enough To Keep Simple Planted Tank?

Jimmy Twotimes

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I've always struggled to keep a planted tank going for long. To be honest its my own fault, i have bought a few plants and they have started off quite well but then soon struggled and died.

I have never used a fertiliser so i dont spose that helped either! I have standard tank lighting which is on for around 10 hrs. I also have small gravel as a substrate.

But i have ordered some new plants and also purchased Seachem Flourish which i will start to use once the plants arrive.

For a simple planted tank will this be enough for a handful of plants to grow well? I have a 150ltrs tank. I dont have C02 facilities and cant afford to.

Should i use any other ferts or will Flourish be enough?

I have read that Flourish Excel is useful to do what CO2 would normally do. I dont have this but would get some if it will adequately compliment the Flourish....

Any advice appreciated.

Look at your lighting, describe as much as you can about it, including any writing on the lamps if possible, also what is the diameter of the tubes?

Its a single standard Arcadia 'Classica' 30" flourescent tube. If that helps oh and 25 watts i think.

What's your stocking like? The fish should provide ample nutrients and CO2 would come from the air dissolved into the water, plants I suggest:

Anubias
Cryptocorynes
Valliseneria
Aponogeton
Microsorum
Hygrophila
Various mosses

I supplied the genus to the above species, there are many species under the different genera, but go for the greener plants, as red plants tend to require more light, though brown Crypts should be fine.

I think im OK stocking wise.......

10 White cloud minnows
2 bristlenose catfish
2 amano shrimp (i know, copper could be dangerous but doses in these ferts are supposed to be ok)
6 rummy noses
3 X ray tetras
3 blue tetras
2 black widow tetras
1 Yoyo Loach

do you think the Seachem Flourish alone should be OK?

Will stick to green leafy plants...

You shouldn't need any ferts, the fish waste will provide the plants with nutrients.

Most reactions

Back