Is This A Good Idea For....

Dave Spencer

Gort! Klaatu barada nikto.
Reaction score
I have a JBL vario diffuser with an extension on it, making it virtually the height of my water column (I plan on hiding it with Hygrophilia Polysperma). On top of the diffuser is a small outlet pipe that occassionally releases a bubble of undissolved CO2. What I propose to do, once I get my tank up and running next week, is run some tubing from this outlet to a glass diffuser situated at the pump outlet to diffuse this undissolved CO2.

What I am wondering is, will there be sufficient pressure in this set up for the glass diffuser to work effectively and, if so, what kind of money should I be spending on one? The prices seem to vary considerably.

you never want undesolved co2 in your aquarium. it will distill and kill every thing in it. and also it will turn you water a nasty cloudy mess. :sick:

I doubt they'd be sufficient output to create a mist. By using the entire JBL unit you should get decent diffusion without needing to worry about waste.

If you do choose the CO2 mist route you generally get what you pay for. More expensive glass/ceramic diffusers produce the finest mist. ADA is top.
you never want undesolved co2 in your aquarium. it will distill and kill every thing in it. and also it will turn you water a nasty cloudy mess. :sick:
Dave is referring to CO2 gas. I think you are referring to yeast mixture, that is not an issue here.

I've got exactly the same setup on my 270 Litre tank Dave, and tried the same thing, running some tubing from the top of the diffuser to the pump inlet.

As George says, the pressure was not sufficient to push the CO2 through the pipework. If you run the bubbles at 1bps then I find that they dissolve completely before they reach the top of the diffuser. I have used all of the difuser bits supplied, and it is almost the height of the water column.

HTH

John

Most reactions

Back