Is this a Betta?? I want to help

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I know it’s not the best situation for the Goldie, but the trough outside isn’t deep enough to stop from freezing all the way through in winter. I try to do 25-50% water changes every week. It’s a secondhand tank, so it’s got awful fluorescent black and neon gravel and fake plants. My New Years resolution was to figure out how to rescape it and replace the gravel with sand or fluval substrate or something similar to fluval, and add some sturdy plants. The Goldie was a cheap one from Petsmart and was already severely stunted when we got him two years ago.
All of the females but one have already had babies, and I’m not worried about more because, as you said the Goldie will eat them. Any surviving fry I will most likely rehome if they have any more.
Would you mind sharing photos of the tank please?

I think the gourami might be better off in your care, but while remaining in the three gallon, with some floating and live plants, rather than in the larger but more exposed tank with a goldie and platies, which aren't fish that respect territories either.

Or, might be better not to try to save the gourami, and hope that someone else takes him, or get him, keep in the 3g temporarily, and rehome him yourself to someone with a more suitable set up.

Your heart is in the right place, @foxgirl158 ! I do really like that you want to adopt him, and that you're working with what you have. But sometimes you need to step back and consider whether it's really the right move or not. It might well be better not to try to adopt this particular fish only to move him to another set up that isn't right for him. But to focus on the changes you'll need to make for your current fish first. Obviously it's always your choice, just want to give my thoughts and encourage you to really consider whether it's the best move for all of the fish involved. We have to use our heads as well as our hearts. <3

@Essjay would love your thoughts!

Or, might be better not to try to save the gourami, and hope that someone else takes him, or get him, keep in the 3g temporarily, and rehome him yourself to someone with a more suitable set up
The posting has been up for nearly a week, and I don't think anyone would be interested. Maybe I do try to re-home him myself, or maybe try a 10g instead of a 20 in order to convince my parents, because 10g is significantly less space that it takes up.

I agree that I should focus on my current tank because it isn't great. I'll post a picture when I get a moment, probably tomorrow as I am very busy today. I think what I might end up doing is convince my parents to let me adopt him and keep him in the 3g while I make sure he's healthy and work on a solution, whether that be a 10-20g tank at my home, or a home with someone who can take care of him.
I really do appreciate all the advice, thank you so much!

The posting has been up for nearly a week, and I don't think anyone would be interested. Maybe I do try to re-home him myself, or maybe try a 10g instead of a 20 in order to convince my parents, because 10g is significantly less space that it takes up.

I agree that I should focus on my current tank because it isn't great. I'll post a picture when I get a moment, probably tomorrow as I am very busy today. I think what I might end up doing is convince my parents to let me adopt him and keep him in the 3g while I make sure he's healthy and work on a solution, whether that be a 10-20g tank at my home, or a home with someone who can take care of him.
I really do appreciate all the advice, thank you so much!

I'm happy that your heart is in the right place! I understand the rescuer urge, I'm the same way myself. Just older and have learned some lessons the hard way, so can be a bit more objective about it and want to try to help you avoid making mistakes like my own :friends:But I know you have a good heart and want the best for them, have seen you helping people who post, and tagging others who you hope can help if you don't know the answer yourself. :)

Definitely worth planning out how you'd like your current tank to be, and any other set ups you'd like so you can take that to your parents and try to convince them! Also lots of tips on the forum for things like cheaper but safe substrates like sand, so you don't need to spend a fortune on replacement substrate! ;)

If you can convince them to let you get the gourami and another tank, I'd personally aim for a 10-20g, use that as a tropical tank for the gourami and platies, and set up the 30g as a proper coldwater tank for goldie. :) If you can swing a 20g, that'll give you more options for other fish later down the line.

If you do try to adopt the gourami and the posting has been up for that long, make sure to haggle on the price! Likely to be able to knock down that price if he still hasn't sold.;)

Most reactions

Back