Is Sand A Good Choice For An Aquarium?

Lawrence

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
i am thinking to buy sand for my aquarium. Is gravel better or it does not really matter. I know that when i need to clean the tank, the sand might cause a slight problem, but is it relatively easy to use sand?

it up to which one you personaly like more but sand is alot better for catfish like corys. some sand dose get suked up when you do water changes but not much.

it up to which one you personaly like more but sand is alot better for catfish like corys. some sand dose get suked up when you do water changes but not much.
ok thanks, but another question, some algae does grow in tanks, nd will the sand get a layer of algae?

ok thanks, but another question, some algae does grow in tanks, nd will the sand get a layer of algae?
shouldnt do...but if you do get algae it will grow on gravel too...if everything is perfect you wont get algae

Hi Lawrence :)

Sand is an excellent, and inexpensive, choice for a substrate especially if you plan to keep fish with barbels, like corydoras. Ordinary play sand, which can be purchased at any home improvement store, will work fine. It takes a bit of work to clean the mud and silt out of it before it goes into the tank, but it is well worth the effort. :D

I chose sand for my new planted nano, I went with Flourite Black Sand. It's been pretty good so far, when I change the water I twirl the gravel vacuum a bit above the sand to stir up the left-over food and waste and not as much sand. It was expensive though, but I love the look.

I have sand in my tank too!! its great...shows off the plants and fish more!!

last year at the end of summer Tesco were selling 15k bags of playsand off at 50p a bag lol well my boot was pretty full lol and i find its really a nice colour almost white and yes its ok for plecs.

Most reactions

Back